Outboard Gear Direct Boxes

chausman

Chase
Fight Leukemia
I was just curious what kind of direct boxes you have and what you like or dislike about it. I was thinking about getting some for my equipment and wanted to get an ideal of what is out there.

I was just curious what kind of direct boxes you have and what you like or dislike about it. I was thinking about getting some for my equipment and wanted to get an ideal of what is out there.

That is a very large question. What are you trying to achieve with the direct boxes. (ex. Are you trying to plug a guitar directly into the sound board? Are you trying to remove a ground loop created by an AC to DC power supply?)

There are many DI boxes, it really depends on what you're using the boxes for.

Sorry about how broad the question is. I guess I was thinking along the lines of connecting a keyboard or guitar amp to the board or to send the signal through a snake.

Do you have a budget in mind? Would you be hooking a guitar or bass direct to the DI or would you be coming out of a line or speaker out on their amp?

This was more hypothetical. Not for anything specific at this point. I guess I would want to know what you would use to go from the guitar itself and what you would use for going out of a line out on the amp.

Also look at some of the Radial Engineering and ProCo products.

If you're going to run a guitar or bass that has passive pickups then they're used to seeing the very high impedance of an instrument input, which means they often work better with active pickups and may have an altered frequency response with a passive DI. At the same time, passive pickups need no power to operate and provide transformer isolation, so they can be good for keyboards, sub mixes, etc. But passive pickups are also very dependent on the quality of the transformer in them. cheaper transformers may not provide good response. Also, ProCo, Whirlwind, Radial and some others make DIs intended just for computer and iPod type use. SO as you can see, it is sometimes a good idea to have more than one type of DI box available.

I like the Countryman 85. They are rugged and sound as good as it gets. I have one that is at least 25 years old and works great. I just bought two more. They don't seem to care what signal level or source impedance you throw at them, and I have never had a ground loop hum from one. They are a bit pricey and require phantom power or a battery. Worth every penny.

I borrowed a Radial once, and had hum from less than stellar isolation (yes I checked the lift switch). It surprised me because I expected better.

I have had fine results with the ProCo CB-1, and they are very affordable. They hold up well, and the low-pass filter switch can be just the thing for harsh acoustic guitar pickups.

For a low budget project, I bought some Behringers. They worked just OK for a couple of years and are now failing. They were treated well and not used heavily. They were not a bargain in the long run. Stay away from these.

So now...
After reading more from the musicians friend page Derek posted and it said that a DI could be put in between a guitar and then use the XLR to go to the console and the thru 1/4" on the DI to go to the Amp. I this something that you would do?

So now...
After reading more from the musicians friend page Derek posted and it said that a DI could be put in between a guitar and then use the XLR to go to the console and the thru 1/4" on the DI to go to the Amp. I this something that you would do?

For acoustic-electrics and bass. Electric guitar via DI sounds like garbage. Sometimes I'll have a DI signal from the bass and still mic the cab to give me some more options with the sound.

For acoustic-electrics and bass. Electric guitar via DI sounds like garbage. Sometimes I'll have a DI signal from the bass and still mic the cab to give me some more options with the sound.

I know many a FOH guys who would argue with you about the electric guitar on DI, if your looking for a clean sound to mix in with their mic'ed amp cab, then its perfect, its also great when you are sending processing from FOH into the mix because an already distorted signal becomes in-comprehensible when you add more processing to an already processed mess.

Basically you don't want to put any instrument on DI box only unless you are looking for a completely clean sound coming to the console (what goes out from their is your doing). as far as DI's go EWI's are cheaper than whirlwind but they sound about the same, haven't heard any issues with mine yet...

I pretty much have to second the suggestions already made:

Radial, Love them, the price is good too. Sturdy, and sound good. They have a variety of different DIs to suit just about any needs.

Countryman type 85, they are expensive but they take touring really well. These are tanks... Literally seen one ran over by the truck and be fine. Gotta love Countryman!

The local community theatre has a bunch of Behringer Ultra-DI 100s. They WORK, they have PAD (2x) and LIFT and all that. They are not the greatest DI but they are REALLY CHEAP. I think the only time I've recommended Behringer.

But would you put the guitar plugged into the DIs 1/4" IN and then use the 1/4" THRU to their amp, and the XLR out to the console? I got that micing the cab would be good as well as a line if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back