Dirt Stage

crec

We are doing a show that needs a "dirt" stage. We will need about 2 cubic yards of dirt spread across an area that's about 20' in daimeter. I am looking for suggestions on how to achieve this, like what kind of material can we use. The director has stated that he would like the actors to use it and dig in it, which rules out a textured ground cloth. I have looked at mulch, but it seems too "dirty" for our uses. Also, he doesn't want to use sandbox sand, he wants it more like dirt.

I welcome any suggestions on types of materials we can use, or to hear about how you achieved a similar affect.

Thanks.

Ground-up cork. I know there is a place in Maine that imports and sells it. They sell it to Ka by the semi-truckload. I don't remember the name of the supplier but they are going to be your best bet unless you actually go out and get a pickup truck full of real dirt. < which I've seen done before>

Too dirty for your uses? What are your concerns? White costumes?

I did a show a year ago that required dirt over a 35'x20' space, and we looked for every possible alternative, and nothing really worked. In a small theater, if it's not dirt, it won't look like dirt, especially if the actors have to dig around in it. We ended up trucking in a thousand pounds of mulch, and it was an incredible pain in the ass, but I was amazed how well it worked. We thought it would make everything filthy and it would get tracked around everywhere, but once it's packed down in stays in place surprisingly well. Actors sat in it in costume, dug around in it, and we didn't have any serious problems (we obviously had to clean costumes on a regular basis but hopefully you're doing that already). Load in and strike won't be fun, but it will look great. Just lay down tarps or gardening burlap beneath it to keep everything neat.

Also, 2 cubic yards of material won't spread over 20 feet and still have enough depth to dig in. I'd guess more like 100.

I know from doing home landscaping that I'm always short by a factor of at least 10 when estimating material.........

Five of these hold 100 cu yds.
1325628285_Select_Dump_Truck_Body_3.jpg

You might check with a nearby baseball field grounds keeper, they spend some time formulating just the right mix for the infield. (parks & rec dept.)

With a 20' diameter circle @ 6" depth you'd need about 6 cubic yards. At 2" depth 2 cubic yards. I can't imagine you'd need over a 6" depth of dirt/material. 100 cubic yards would result in a 7-8' high pile. And a giant hole when your stage collapses under that weight :^).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back