Dirty problems please help

Smurphy

I hear from some people that i know who do audio work for a living that mackie boards are considered the "Low" end of the professional spectrum , my problem is with a mackie board that he said is pretty common BLEEDING my channels bleed into one another like you would not believe. We believe that it is just dirt from other students and user groups not covering the board. So my question is there anyway to stop the bleeding from the board.

Personally, I don't consider Mackie products part of the pro audio spectrum. The phenomena you're experiencing is called crosstalk. There's not much you can do about it given it's an electrical problem. Keeping the cover on the board won't make any difference, other than prolonging pot and fader life.

We need to clarify this, Mackie products newer than 1999.
(Made in China after that)

Gear that is almost ten years old might as well have been made in China. Add bad shielding and poorly laid out circuits, and you have the perfect candidate to record a podcast in your mom's basement through an on-board AC97 card.

Gear that is almost ten years old might as well have been made in China. Add bad shielding and poorly laid out circuits, and you have the perfect candidate to record a podcast in your mom's basement through an on-board AC97 card.
So you're telling me that anything old is automatically garbage?
We have a 1996 SR 32-4 VLZ Pro with a broken talkback, period.
I have this nice little Peavey amp downstairs, an M3000.
When was that made?
1987 and it works flawlessly and runs cooler than any other amp I have ever used.
(thanks to a monster heat sink and a fan on the side)

Last edited by a moderator:
So you're telling me that anything old is automatically garbage?

Did I say that anywhere? Take a look at the RAMSA 840, XL3, or PM4k, 10-15 years old and still in use and on riders. I have never seen Mackie or Behringer on a rider, not even specing an older Mackie. Maybe there's a reason for that?

I have this nice little Peavey amp downstairs, an M3000.
When was that made?
1987 and it works flawlessly and runs cooler than any other amp I have ever used.
(thanks to a monster heat sink and a fan on the side)

It also burns up almost as many rack spaces as a Macrotech 5000 and puts out a tenth of the power. Please, never take that out on a show.

I hear from some people that i know who do audio work for a living that mackie boards are considered the "Low" end of the professional spectrum , my problem is with a mackie board that he said is pretty common BLEEDING my channels bleed into one another like you would not believe. We believe that it is just dirt from other students and user groups not covering the board. So my question is there anyway to stop the bleeding from the board.

nope..its electrical in how it was built and the components used.. If you have crosstalk--its the product, not the dirty environment..sorry.

-w

I have never seen Mackie or Behringer no a rider, not even specing an older Mackie. Maybe there's a reason for that?
Behringer is trash and Mackie's reputation has gone down the toilet in recent years(rightfully so)
It also burns up almost as many rack spaces as a Macrotech 5000 and puts out a tenth of the power. Please, never take that out on a show.
The response we get from most people is "cool I remember that from my days in a band in the 80's."
The fact that it has lasted this long says something, you won't be seeing some stuff made today in 20 years.
China has not helped that problem.

desks i would rather work with rather than behringer
1.Allen and Heath (love em)
2.Crest X8 (the one i use 10 years old never had a problem worth every cent)
3.Midas (use it, case it, use it again r-e-l-i-a-b-l-e)
4.Mackie (good for the price but don't expect magic)

234. Behringer

desks i would rather work with rather than behringer
1.Allen and Heath (love em)
2.Crest X8 (the one i use 10 years old never had a problem worth every cent)
3.Midas (use it, case it, use it again r-e-l-i-a-b-l-e)
4.Mackie (good for the price but don't expect magic)
234. Behringer
Can you get Peavey stuff in Australia?
Great for the budget, and will probably outlive us all.

i think you can, or rather i have seen some guitar amps that are peavy i haven't had any dealings or experiance with them so i couldn't comment

edit: i forgot a brand Phonic number 154 reason, YOU CAN'T GET PARTS IN AUSTRALIA

this is all rather funny because the two desks i own are a 5ch phonic desk and 6ch behringer desk, do i use them NO WAY!

Last edited:
Which Mackie is it and be specific as there are several versions of some of the general model numbers? Have you verified that you are running proper gain structure on the console as that could cause some problems?

While I agree that the general quality of Mackie seems to have dropped in recent years, as have some of the entry level EAW products, these manufacturers did change the industry and initially brought a level of quality to a price point that was previously almost unobtainable. Unfortunately, in the idea of 'bringing quality to the masses' it seems that sometimes the focus shifts off the quality and onto the masses part of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back