Discontinued Incandescent Light Bulbs?

carsonld

So we all have probably heard that they are going to stop making incandescent light bulbs, my question, how are they going to replace the light bulbs for S4, Pars, Fresnels, and Moving Lights(Studio Spot 757)? Does anyone know what to do here? We were looking into getting some Studio Spot 757 until we found out about this.

So we all have probably heard that they are going to stop making incandescent light bulbs, my question, how are they going to replace the light bulbs for S4, Pars, Fresnels, and Moving Lights(Studio Spot 757)? Does anyone know what to do here? We were looking into getting some Studio Spot 757 until we found out about this.

The Studio Spot is not incandescent so unless one of the major manufacturers - OSRAM or Phillips decides to discontinue, you don't need to worry (yet). Note they have been known to discontinue such lamps as the industry moves on to newer designs and anybodies guess how long the MSR 575/2 will be around, so pay attention and stock up when and if they make that decision.

As to the HPL and other incandescent stage lamps, the current thinking is the elimination of incandescent lamps is mostly in the types used in home and commercial applications, not entertainment. Thus no current concerns.

From what I know, Stage & Studio lamps are excluded from this ban.

Correct. Stage and Studio lamps are exempt. I do not know of any legislation even pending that would ban them.

by the way all the lamps mentioned are incandescent, just a sub-category of halogen quartz incandescent. 1. emitting light as a result of being heated to a high temperature; red-hot or white-hot

The only lamp that has actually been discontinued (that I regularly used at some point) is the 1000IF for the 18" scoops. Now, you must buy the very expensive DSE/DKZ lamp or just step down to 500IF for less light. (Or switch to a 16" scoop with an FCM or FHM double-ended halogen lamp.)

The only lamp that has actually been discontinued (that I regularly used at some point) is the 1000IF for the 18" scoops. Now, you must buy the very expensive DSE/DKZ lamp or just step down to 500IF for less light. (Or switch to a 16" scoop with an FCM or FHM double-ended halogen lamp.)

Ah' but you will like the DKZ/DSE especially from Thorn (ony direct dist. in the US by LE Nelson Lamps). Not sure if anyone else makes it, but it is a more efficient lamp. Been using them for about 15+ years now and a much better product. Better output, less lamp liife but probably not enough to notice. Biggest advantage is the I think it is a ED-37 shape. This means if you cross arm supported the scoop at its widest points to prevent dinging, the lamp will fit, but other wise and in general the smaller bulb shape has less stress due to overall weight in baging about if moved.

I do remember 1K PS-52 lamps in thinking they were the actual DKZ, with silica sand in them... what ever happened to them?

Over the past couple of years the only PS-52 lamps I have bought have been for show prop pendant light or museum purposes. I might if I really wanted a PS-52 lamp hit up places Halco in doubtful as with DuraLamp, but especially Aerotech as what's the common lamp might still be made in a better quality lamp by them.

Last edited:

Those are not "incandescent lamps" Those are HALOGEN lamps and not only meet the current efficiency requirements, but are exempt from Efficiency legislation also because they are Specialty product and the legislation only pertains to General Lighting Consumer/Home lamps. (Medium Screwbase).

Or switch to the OSRAM KREIOS FL or FLx flood light fixture-- designed for lighting stages as a worklight! :)

Those are not "incandescent lamps" Those are HALOGEN lamps and not only meet the current efficiency requirements, but are exempt from Efficiency legislation also because they are Specialty product and the legislation only pertains to General Lighting Consumer/Home lamps. (Medium Screwbase).

One could argue that a Halogen lamp is a sub-species of an incandescent. Possibly that fact does not want to be noted when dealing with Congress or the other idiots fostering some of these absurdities on us.

One could argue that a Halogen lamp is a sub-species of an incandescent. .

It is, and one can-- however one "can't" when the thread is referring to Energy legislation pertaining to Incandescent lamps-- because Halogen lamps are excluded and not in any way currently affected by that legislation as their efficiencies are so much higher. Halogen versions of all your favorite home light bulbs are still available at all major suppliers (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) as replacements for standard incandescent bulbs. The difference is the color temp is a little bit higher (maybe 3000K instead of 2800K), and the wattage is a few watts lower. (think 52W instead of a 60W bulb). But yes, technically a halogen bulb is merely an incandescent lamp which has HBr inside (instead of a vacuum or non-reactive gas like Nitrogen) to allow the tungsten particles to collect off of the glass and be deposited back onto the filament for longer life and hotter burning-- aka, "The halogen-cycle".

It is, and one can-- however one "can't" when the thread is referring to Energy legislation pertaining to Incandescent lamps--".
"

Having just been informed yesterday by my supplier (a Farmingdale, NY based company that doesn't need to be named but who are typically terrific) that my 150 watt "Halogena" lamps are no longer available. This is a TH lamp, medium screw base, BC150BT15/HAL lamp.

Finding a replacement is a PITA.

THEY ARE INCANDESCENT LAMPS, it is a basic English word meaning giving off light when hot. Halogen are just a subgroup of incandescent lamp, the illiteracy of your government not withstanding

I was repying to the incorrect assertion by DEL072 and there's nothing "technical" about it. If it's got a filament it's incandescent.

*facepalm* There was nothing at all incorrect about my assertion. You simply don't seem to understand what I said and the difference between the two technologies or the point of this thread, which is specifically referring to NON-halogen, general lighting incandescing lamps which are being phased out due to their low efficiencies. We are in complete agreement about what the lamp is made of and how it works, but why you are challenging my very real assertions that Halogen lamps (already defined above, and specifically Stage and Studo types) are exempt, is beyond me. Someone seems to want to pick a fight for no reason at all, and frankly I'm not into playing that game. Go argue with someone else.

As for the lamp discontinued by our friends in Farmingdale, lamps get discontinued all the time for a variety of reasons (low volume, price decline, cost increases on raw materials, newer/improved versions, etc. The BC150BT15/HAL was 17.6 Lumens per watt. I'm not sure of the exact Gov't cut-off for efficiency, so you'd have to check to see if it was phased out for efficiency reasons or not. Theatrical halogen lamps typically get upwards of 24+ lumens per watt. An HPL & FEL for instance are 27 LPW.

FLx is due in stock at the end of May. It's in final ETL testing at the moment.

As for the lamp discontinued by our friends in Farmingdale, lamps get discontinued all the time for a variety of reasons (low volume, price decline, cost increases on raw materials, newer/improved versions, etc. The BC150BT15/HAL was 17.6 Lumens per watt. I'm not sure of the exact Gov't cut-off for efficiency, so you'd have to check to see if it was phased out for efficiency reasons or not. Theatrical halogen lamps typically get upwards of 24+ lumens per watt. An HPL & FEL for instance are 27 LPW.

Mark, thanks for the little tidbit of info. about lumen per watt efficiency. I suspect that for that particular lamp and it's applications, there are better LED or Florescents, thus the phase out. I now move my house lighting load to an even more inefficient 150 W A lamp, with screw base extenders, that can actually dim. I also suspect I'll be writing my "replace all with DMX controlled LED fixture" proposal sooner rather then later.

Mark, thanks for the little tidbit of info. about lumen per watt efficiency. I suspect that for that particular lamp and it's applications, there are better LED or Florescents, thus the phase out. I now move my house lighting load to an even more inefficient 150 W A lamp, with screw base extenders, that can actually dim. I also suspect I'll be writing my "replace all with DMX controlled LED fixture" proposal sooner rather then later.

The key item to note on all these Gov't phase outs are that they are setting limits (lower) on EFFICIENCY (Lumens per watt), so the technology isn't what is being phased out or determining what gets to stay and what has to go, so much as the min. Lumens Per watt . I don't know if the new limit they want is 20 LPW, or maybe 18? I'd have to read the ruling and directives to find out. If an LED or Fluorescent lamp achieved less than the target level (whatever it is), then that would also now be banned from Production. Since "Special Purpose" lamps (non-General Lighting/Consumer/Retail) are exempt, the possibility exists to keep those incandescent A-lamps available, but as "Theatrical Prop lamps" and not as home lighting lamps. This would get them around the ban and still allow them to be accessible-- HOWEVER, the volumes for that would be so low, and the price would have to be quadruple what it is now AT LEAST as what made Incandescent lamps viable was the sheer volume of them. At 1% of the volume or less, they simple aren't viable and won't keep the factories that make them running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back