Discontinued Incandescent Light Bulbs?

It gets even funnier (sadder? more pathetic?) when you realize that the Gov't phase-out and new energy requirement (EISA 2007) was DEFUNDED by Congress in 2012, and so is not enforced. *facepalm*

Incandescent phase-out
EISA 2007 set new performance requirements for certain common light bulbs, requiring that these bulbs become approximately 25-30% more efficient than the light bulbs of 2008 by 2012-2014. Overall, the intent of this is to bring into the market more efficient light bulbs. Some new incandescent products could be introduced by the effective dates of the law, including a bulb by General Electric that will decrease the amount of energy required. Non-incandescent bulbs, such as compact fluorescent (CFL) and light emitting diodes (LED) already meet the Tier I standards introduced.[7] Some companies are working to stop the sales of incandescent bulbs in anticipation of the standards changes. For example, the home decor and furniture company IKEA has phased out the stock and sale of incandescent bulbs at their stores in the US and Canada, starting in August 2011.[8]
Defunding of incandescent phaseout
In December 2011, the U.S. Congress defunded enforcement of EISA light-bulb performance requirements as part of the Consolidated Appropriations Act in the 2012 federal budget.[9] However, a representative of the American lighting industry said that "the industry has moved on" and that American manufacturers have already retooled production lines to make other bulbs.[10]

--U.S. Lighting Energy Policy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a related topic Mark at one point explained to me about the color correcting lamp such as the GE "Reveal" lamp, in why still on the market. Perhaps this type of info would be good as further information about special lamps for purposes outside the litigation. Sorry Mark to thro another horshoe into the ring but your imput is very educational to all of us and thanks. On a related topic, I'm converting some L&E leko's to the 100w medium screw based Reveal lamp currently.

Me in signing tonight in got liked to Alerts and someone thanked me about the post on BTH lamps in the past couple of days... Mark was the person I spoke to at Osram about the concept and he took it from there in bringing them to market over other lamp manufactures I aso presented the idea to. He also is responsible for the HPR lamp which was a little before it's time in bening more eficient and didn't take off, but was a great lamp amongst other stuff. Mark as a tech person member knows stuff we don't in being at a different theater position than us, and I rely on him more than my local vendor rep. or others to let me know stuff, to answer big questions or find out stuff I need to know.
Stuff like the difference between the

HTI 1500w/60/P50

Osram #54224

HTI 1500w/60/P50 M3W

Osram #54396

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
is important to know and debate.

Last edited:
Ship, are you partly responsible for the BTH? I have converted my whole fleet of Altman 65/65Qs to that lamp. It is freakin' genius. Any chance in convincing a manufacturer to produce the equivalent in an EGE/EGG/EGJ fleet of lamps for legacy ellipsoidals and quartz scoops???

Ship, are you partly responsible for the BTH? I have converted my whole fleet of Altman 65/65Qs to that lamp. It is freakin' genius. Any chance in convincing a manufacturer to produce the equivalent in an EGE/EGG/EGJ fleet of lamps for legacy ellipsoidals and quartz scoops???

CB came up with the idea, I just presented it to various manufacters and Mark above did it. Thik Mark would be best answering this question though I have my doubts it would be cost effective short of the movie industry requesting it for their 1K Fresnels. I remember Thorn had an upgraded CYX lamp for a 2K Fresnel for a while, don't know if they still make it and it wasn't much of an upgrade.

It has to be said. Investment in incandescent lamps is dropping off quickly in favor of LEDs. It may 5 or 10 years before they are the obvious choice over incandescents, but that day will come.

It has to be said. Investment in incandescent lamps is dropping off quickly in favor of LEDs. It may 5 or 10 years before they are the obvious choice over incandescents, but that day will come.

They'll still be around long after that but I doubt we will see many new fixtures made that will take an incandescent lamp so there isn't much reason for manufacturers to invest in designing new lamps.

Well that was strange, I typed out my question, and hit reply and got the blank post bug......anyways...

So it looks like I've been struck by the banned bulb bug. Our house lights were 130w/130v incandescent flood lights. All of the other markings aren't visible anymore so that is all of the info that I know. Our grid height is 17'-0". After spending three years in a proscenium arrangement, they switched to In The Round for Our Town. This of course meant that I had to find some new bulbs (because of course I couldn't find any of the other spares, I assume that as some of the ones burnt out, they pulled from that stock) to screw into the house lights that are in place for that arrangement. Also, of course, the most powerful that I could find was 65w which meant that two sections of seating were bright, and two sections were dim. I just swapped lamps around until each section had a mixture of both to even things out because the 65w lamps were just unacceptably dim.

So I'm now looking for alternatives to do a full swap over the summer. I bought a Phillips EcoVantage 83w Par38 lamp at Home Depot to do a test, and it does a fantastic job......of lighting two seats. I'm having a hard time finding photometric data on a lot of these types of lamps out there, but I've read a lot of reviews that say that they are awfully spotty even though they say that they are floods. Any suggestions on a different type of lamp that I can put into these that puts out a lot of light and dims smoothly?

I would recommend looking at the "next generation" of Halogen PAR38 and PAR30 (long neck) lamps that are specifically labeled as a "wide flood" which in the case of these lamps is usually a 40-50 degree beam. The trick is to find the ones labeled Wide Flood as there aren't that many out there. Most of the lamps that say flood are what I consider to be a Medium flood of 25-30 degrees.

I wouldn't be too afraid of the lower wattages of these lamps because they really are MUCH more efficient in lumens per watt than what I am assuming was a 130 watt/130 volt R40 lamp. These lamps aren't cheap, but if you run them a bit under voltage I bet you could life as good or better than with your older lamps and

Osram/Sylvania offers the following that look good:
A PAR38 80 watt WFL 50 degree, 1545initial lumens, order code 80PAR38/HAL/S/WFL50
A PAR30 60 watt WFL 50 degree, 1070 initial lumens, order code 60PAR30/HAL/S/WFL50

That PAR38 lamp also looks like it might make a good substitute for relamping R40 border lights.

Wow, these things are hard to find, I went to several light bulb specialty stores in town and none of them carried anything even similar, they all just carried floods and not wide floods. They all kept pushing the LED replacement to them. I'm going to try ordering a 70W one from Grainger made by Lumapro to see what happens. They are $6.85 each with our contract and free shipping.

70W is a bit low for a 150W replacement. Scenemaster60s 1545 lumens is nearer the mark.

If you have Pars I suspect the 130W is an early retrofit for a 150W. Note that the 130V is trade off of less light for longer life. If you can get to the fixtures 120V lamps are a better deal.

Standard definition of Spot is 10 degree, Flood is 25d and Wide Flood is 55d, with a lot of leeway. Caveat emptor!

That ship has sailed and the adoption of LED's has already become embedded in modern culture.

This is like when he eased back regulations on coal to bring back coal mining jobs and then discovered coal isn't coming back because renewables and natural gas are what everyone wants and are becoming cheaper to produce -- and even if coal wasn't dying, you're still never going to see hundreds of coal mining jobs on a mountain ever again because you can mine the entire side of a mountain with robots and like 7 guys to keep the robots happy.

I take solace in knowing these steps backward in environmental policy will have no impact whatsoever aside from the negative symbolism.

Last edited:
Boat has sailed in going LED. Most of my home is now LED - held off until decent in quality. Still a few early LED lamps to change out that are less efficient. Garage, almost went T-8 LED but want to use up the rest of the high output shop lamps given the shop including my area now is fully converted... And could not pass up the cost. Most of the shop is Gen. 2 LED, I waited for better lamps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back