Discoveries in the gel cabinet.

Ah, I'm just talking in the hypothetical, "back in the day" type situations again...however that's not to say I haven't seen high schools still lighting cyc's with R40's.

R40's.... All we use them for is as footlights and other special situations(like audience blinders behind doors in our last production) at the main stage. At the second stage, we have 4-circuits rigged up as 3 circuits with the 4th being worklights in a wall switch(They never move) as downlight.

I want to see CK make direct drop in, RGB mixing, LED replacements for R40 strips.

Oh, back in the day! My college had a wrap cyc, with a cyc trough, and RBG LtBlu rondels top and bottom. The patch panel even had plugs taped with colors to identify the circuits. For the footlights we'd use Roscolene or Cinemoid and change color depending on the musical. Standards were BA, Steel Blu, Surprise Pnk, sometimes DeepBlu.

Four-circuit R40 strips used to be very rare in the rental market. For a show in Chicago, no one had them, so the shop had to rewire 3 circuit ones. The show ran 3 years, so they should have bought them.

Oh, RGB LtBlu, now that's different. I can't say I've ever seen a LtBlu roundel.

Derek, how do you prefer your order of red, green and blue in your cyc lights?

Last edited:
Oh, RGB LtBlu, now that's different. I can't say I've ever seen a LtBlu roundel.

Derek, how do you prefer your order or red, green and blue in your cyc lights?

In a 3 ckt, every color is next to every other color so don't think order matters al long as you are consistant. The only potential problem I can see is the space in between strips.

I think I've seen a few roundels around to, although I haven't seen anything they could go in.

What Dustin said. Don't matter none in a 3 ckt system. Borderlights were usually RBG, often with the Green removed to use as worklight or for more intensity. Most all designers used to go RBG, but they've now switched to RGB. If it matters to you in your cyclights, they're not mixing properly. You have them hung too close to the cyc, 6' minimum as I recall.

Let me find the specs for the original FarCyc...okay, can't find those right now. Though the best by far is the Strand/Ianiro/QuartzColor Iris, here's the blurb on the Altman SkyCyc:
A lightweight, wide spread, luminaire designed to provide an even wash of light on cycloramas; the four light sky cyc, when mounted 8 feet from the cyc, 12 feet on center will typically provide better than 1.3 to 1 uniformity between luminaires with a minimum of 176 footcandles at the bottom of a 20' cyc. Available in many configurations, the SKY-CYC is ideally suited for use in theatres and television studios as a compact, lightweight means of lighting large cycloramas from above.

Again, that's where theySHOULD be hung, but lets be honest, how many highschools do things how they SHOULD be done.

At the college it's normally not an issue, especially with the L&E cyc's we have. Now, it has some effect with the multipars, but that's why I am petitioning for extra-wide lenses.

Problem some dirty answer that I'm not really sure of...

Either that or my mind is just corrupt and the word 'buxom' automatically seems like it would be in relation to some PG-13 explanation.

Discoveries in the gel cabinet... actual gelatin sheets..that's right, the stuff that dissolves in water!!! Thats old stuff it's so brittle it was in pieces.

As to Cyc lights. We still use strip lights on the floor with rondels in them. We get very nice color mixes using them as accents etc on the bottom of the cyc with the cyc lights providing the base illumination.

Discoveries in the gel cabinet... actual gelatin sheets..that's right, the stuff that dissolves in water!!! Thats old stuff it's so brittle it was in pieces.

As to Cyc lights. We still use strip lights on the floor with rondels in them. We get very nice color mixes using them as accents etc on the bottom of the cyc with the cyc lights providing the base illumination.

That explains the Gelatin sheets...Your living in the past and communicating to the distant future.:lol:

Are you also using a computer with windows 3.1?

I've got one of those at home I think, I can't remember if I stripped it for parts. I also have a Commodore 128 at home(I just need to find a harddrive for it).

My favorite finds in a gel file or cabinet was pokadot gel. Liberating gel is not acceptable without permission from a boss - put it back or ask for permission with the paid staff. There is people out there that still ask for and won’t accept other than even RoscoLene. Very unique for them at least colorations they get from such gel and hard to find these days.

Ibid on the xxA series gel, this especially if close to something else and could be used in its place.

My favorite Rosco gel is Rx107. Sort of a 1/4 CTB blue type frost in type. Bought sheets of it and cut it to size wile I could still get it. None the less what ain’t your’s ain’t yours until and only until you are given it by asking those specifically authorized and able to give such things to you - careful point in the industry.

Check http://www.ledtronics.com/. They make direct replacements for incandescent lamps (since that is what I assume that you were intending). It would be too pricey to do however.
$132.00 for a PAR38 lamp! Exactly how long would the ROI on that be? And I don't see any mention of whether or not it can be dimmed. (If I had them,) I'd stay with my R40 strips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back