The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Disposable Confetti Cannons

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Ken Summerall Jr, Mar 15, 2019 at 11:22 AM.

1. Ken Summerall Jr

Ken Summerall Jr Member

So at an event this past weekend (dance competition, ugh) the renters snuck in some of these 24" disposable confetti cannons and shot them off on stage at the end of the evening. Kinda upset me because:

1. They didn't ask.
    2. They didn't even attempt to clean up.
    3. As they were leaving they even joked about the fact that they didn't clean up.

But I digress... Is this a safety issue? From what I can find online they used compressed nitrogen. I did look at one after they left and it says for outdoor use only.

My question is whether or not these pose a safety hazard. We will probably require previous approval for use from now on (since the client did not disclose their intent to use them nor did they attempt to clean up) but I wonder if we need to ban the use all together.

Thanks,
    Ken

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    Nitrogen wouldn't present any toxicity issues at all. the biggest Issue I can see is Safety. If you arte going to use any kind of 'Explosive' or something that creates a projectile you should have a safety plan in place. It should spell out how you will guarantee that no one will get hurt, including spotting procedures etc. A list including possible injuries and proper plans to handle them in case something does go wrong. Ultimately you have the right to ban the use of any SPFX whether reasonable or not. A $500 premium for the use of Confetti for covering cleaning costs is not unreasonable.

Jay Ashworth and RonHebbard like this.
  3. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh.... Nitrogen is not the problem. My question is, "What is used to release the gas?" Since they are disposable, I doubt there is a valve involved, probably a diaphragm with a small pyro charge that ruptures it.

4. Ken Summerall Jr

Ken Summerall Jr Member

I don't think there was any pyro involved. I ripped one apart and it looked like there was a pin that was forced to rupture the diaphragm.

RonHebbard likes this.
  5. gbirdsall

gbirdsall Member

When ever a client wanted to use confetti we would charge a $500 clean up fee, require a spotter for each cannon and we were required to pack and seal each cannon.

The last part seamed odd to me so I started asking why and apparently on a high school dance show my old TD was working some kids though it would be funny to drop a golf ball and some paint balls in the cannon and seal it. Thankfully when it went off no one was hurt but it did cause some damage from both paint and the golf balls hitting some booth windows.

Like anything special effects related its all about control from beginning to end.

Jay Ashworth and RonHebbard like this.
  6. Ken Summerall Jr

Ken Summerall Jr Member

Well I would imagine that policy put a damper on anyone wanting to use confetti!

The golf ball is scary, that could have really hurt someone.

RonHebbard likes this.
  7. Amiers

Amiers Lighting Phoenix 1 Lamp at a Time

Add a few extra charges to the invoice and send it off. I’d say 750. 500 for the clean up and 250 for them not specificing it in their advance/rider.

8. Jay Ashworth

Jay Ashworth Well-Known Member

And understand: You don't necessarily have to collect...

Collecting's not bad, but you're trying to make a point, as much as anything.

TimMc, RonHebbard and JD like this.
  9. TimMc

TimMc Well-Known Member

A venue in a nearby city: "Confetti - $1000 cleanup deposit, Glitter - $10,000 cleanup deposit."

10. DGotlieb

DGotlieb Member

Generally the way these are activated is a spring loaded pin to puncture the nitrogen cartridge. There is no pyro. However there is still a lot of force involved with the sudden release of that cartridge so it should be a effect with safety protocols and a large cleaning fee... i guarantee you will have random confetti fall from somewhere during the middle of your next 3 performances... and then another 6 months from now.

RonHebbard likes this.