DIY cables

i must admit i forgot about the damaging the output stages bit.
if i were ever to do anything like that i would be doing it on the computer with purpose designed programmes/plug-ins.
my first encounder with this was back in the day when i got a plug-in for winamp that simply did esactly what was mentioned in above posts.

DIY Comms Set

Does anybody know where I can get details on building my own comms set? I assume there's some sort of standard for this.

The reason I ask is that the theatre I work at only has a few sets which is fine for the stage manager, lighting operator and sound guy, but causes problems when we need other crew on comms (eg: followspots, data projector, etc).

dogsbody said:
Does anybody know where I can get details on building my own comms set? I assume there's some sort of standard for this.

Welcom to Controlbooth.com (always good to get more people from the southern hemisphere!)

If you jump into the search page (see link at top of page) you can search for information on comms in the various forum posts on this site. I do know that there have been several posts, many with links to do-it-yourself pages.

Let me know if you get stuck and I'll have a search myself.

halojen said:
..anyway, with a two-core speaker cable you cant really go wrong cause if you get it out of phase, so what?

If you get it out of phase, go back and do it right. I spent a couple hours with a DJ friend last night, getting ready for a big outdoor gig we're working together this Saturday. When we talked on the phone, he was certain I'd have to rebuild one of his power amps. The clip lights were coming on constantly, but he wasn't getting any bass. The problem wasn't his amp, it was his speaker wiring.

He's got four very nice EV dual 18" subwoofers, but they're kind-of old and had been repaired, over the years, by someone who thought "...if you get it out of phase, so what?"

In two of the cabinets, the top and bottom speakers were out of phase. The speakers were working really hard, but the cabinets were putting out next-to nothing. They just moved a lot of air inside the cabinet - very little got out.

In the other two cabinets the speakers were in-phase, but the cabinets themselves were out of phase. The result was that one would push and the other would pull. Directly in front of either cabinet, the bass was overwhelming, but at any point in-between, the bass disappeared.

The speakers and amp were working really hard moving air from speaker to speaker and cabinet to cabinet, but they weren't moving much of it out to the audience.

I rewired his subs so all the speakers are in-phase with each other and with the 15" drivers in his mains. We nearly knocked his garage off it's foundation without lighting the clip lights on his amp. This gig's going to be fun!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back