DIY clearcom or cheap solution

Would the eartec allow me to interface with an old-school wired clearcom? I'm thinking about when we tour a show twice a year. I'm thinking with Mumble/Pi I can XLR-1/8" and plug it into the Pi to add my wireless setup to their wired system.

Would the eartec allow me to interface with an old-school wired clearcom? I'm thinking about when we tour a show twice a year. I'm thinking with Mumble/Pi I can XLR-1/8" and plug it into the Pi to add my wireless setup to their wired system.
Somebody on here did an experiment with the mumble backbone to clearcom, and the problem was the mumble would pick back up the sound it sent on the clearcom loop as an input signal, since the clear com loop is fed to the mumble input. echo city. Even I in my best evangelistic mode says if you can get a kilobuck to buy the Eartech, that is probably the best and simplest. If you want to start with little to nothing with the ability to add and refine as you go a bit at a time.. then mumble is great..

As far as I know, EarTec is it's own closed system. I know they have wired and other wireless systems. My experience is with the UltraLite, which can handle up to 5 headsets without a base station (the base is in one of the headsets). Depending on how many headsets you need, the UltraLite might work well on tour because it's so portable.
(i do not work of EarTec, just a fan)

Not to undercut my profits from the free picomm project.. but if you want dirt cheap simple and wired system... take a look at this
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I always knew this could be done, but didn't know the supply voltage acceptable range... also wonder how many stations you could cut in in parallel..
a good beefy clean AC adaptor would probably get you quite a few. In the old days.. that was one of the reasons Ma Bell got upset
if you had unauthorized extensions.. it could in theory drop the line voltage enough that not everyone could be rung.. Equipment used to
have "Ringer Equavalence Number" to rate how many could be put on a branch.. They could also test remotely and know you had your own extension hooked up
by the line voltage drop. You could even get creative and use some cordless handsets and bases. As an example.. 11 bucks on ebay... Plantronics cordless with headset.. Just jimmy in the base like they did on the wired phone example, and I bet you're golden https://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-Mini-Co...601327&hash=item3b2c5c947f:g:pPsAAOSw2gNbx7pr

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back