DIY Projection surfaces

Jackalope

We are projecting onto 3 very large wall surfaces and the floor. I priced specialized projector screen paints but we need to cover such a large surface area that we would need 5 to 7 gallons of paint and at 80 to 150 dollars a quart that adds up quick. 3 of the walls will be muslin drops.
Can someone recommend a paint product that will give good results? I realize that we won't get the quality of the specialty paints but I am hoping someone has experimented with off the shelf box store paints that did okay.

Thank for any advice!
Richard

We are projecting onto 3 very large wall surfaces and the floor. I priced specialized projector screen paints but we need to cover such a large surface area that we would need 5 to 7 gallons of paint and at 80 to 150 dollars a quart that adds up quick. 3 of the walls will be muslin drops.
Can someone recommend a paint product that will give good results? I realize that we won't get the quality of the specialty paints but I am hoping someone has experimented with off the shelf box store paints that did okay.

Thank for any advice!
Richard
@Jackalope Front Or Rear projection?
If front, I'd try any flat white on a small test piece before spending any more.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

We project on our walls a lot. Here are a couple examples. The sunflowers are on a light blue 'sky' and the newspaper clips on black. Both are eggshell texture. Your choice of gray is a good one. Oh, it's a 5500 lumen projector about 35' away.

Attachments

• sunflowers.mpg
    2 MB
  • detroit.mpg
    7.3 MB
I am hoping g for a medium gray so it can be less obvious when not projected on.
Be careful with "gray". How warm or cool is it? What I did - I took a gray scale/color chart from Kodak to my local commercial/industrial paint store. They scanned the 18% gray card and mixed up a quart test sample. I applied the paint to some test media, let it dry and took the samples back, where they were scanned and compared with the Kodak card. Small tweak in the color and walked out with 2 gallons. VERY neutral, kind of dark, projections render very well.

edit ps: my use originally was for a video edit room, where color decisions were made. Didn't take a whole gallon, and the left overs got used on some scenic pieces for mapped projections. Wasn't my show, just my paint. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back