DL1 and DL2 review

soundman

Sunday I went to a short seminar on digital lighting. The material covered Media servers especially catalyst, the DL and DL 2 as well as content creations. A hog 3 was brought in for control. In short the DL and DL 2 were a lot bigger than I thought and heavy to match, we had 3 people to take each light out of the case. With the large head size the pan and tilt were a little on the slow side. The output was rather intense though. We did not meter the light but under the work lights the images was sharp. When we focused a studio spot 575 over the image it appeared washed out but still visible.

Both catalyst and the DL 2 came with lots of stock content. Most of the content was “trippy” but there were some gobos (Apollo’s catalog?) Over all cool toys but they were very loud (the DL 2 more so than the DL 1) and the cost is prohibitive of all but the largest budgets.

If anyone has any questions I’m no expert but I’ll try and help.

Mike

P.S. all that is in the head is an off the shelf projector, kind of ruins the magic.

they look cool on thier site.....but way to high ppriced still to use any were i will be working anytime soon. i am surprised to hear that they make alot of noise though. thier other products i have used have been fairly quiet.

Yea the studio beam/spot 575 dont have fans so they are silent when not moving. The DL 2 has a computer and a projector inside of it so there are a few fans in there.

FWIW, we get used with Media servers (including the Catalyst) and DL.1s, etc. quite a bit. I'd be happy to answer any questions as well.

Also, we've got a user that does a lot of corporate events with LCD projectors (DLP probably) and the DMX version of Arkaos. Does it fill a theatre with laser like effects like a DL.1, no, but it is pretty nice for a fraction of hte cost.

-jjf
Innovate Show Controls

Just got a demo of the Dl1 Dl2 i wasnt all that impressed. at 5000 lumens it is easily washed out. I did not find it nosiey but i think i was looking at it from a rock show perspective. the stock images were ok nothing amazing but the key to media servers is not the content its how you manipulate it.

but thats just my opinion.

JH

I use dl1 fairly often, and it brightness can be maximized by programming. I keep it alone (not crossing over a bunch of other lights) and keep it moving. To do static content is fairly boring and begs the question why we aren't just using a standard projector. Yes, it's heavy and big, but no heavier than a M2K. But like everything else, the equipment isn't nearly as important as the people running it.

Hum, not impressed by High End Digital Lighting? Well, I guess thats your opinion. As a Catalyst programmer and using DL's often, I find them to be amazing and a great asset to many productions I am involved with. Being able to project media anywhere alone is a great addition. The DL2 are great given that they have built in media which a Catalyst is not needed to use standard media included in the unit.

If you think you can use these as a standard mover then your wrong. But they are no slower then a Mac 2000. I think it would be best to see them live and how they are used. Maybe your opinion will change when you see them in context.

Mabey, a demo is just a demo but i have seen video and pictures of them in use and have spoken to people i know who have used them and we all agree that the product is not quite there yet. its close and is definitly the way of the future but the lumens need to be higher i could care less about speed it just needs to be bright to be able to keep up. at this point it time i would rather have a projector with there orbital mirror head but hey like you said its just opinion

These things are wicked bright. If the images are optomized correctly. These things are very bright. The DL2's that is. If you compair that fixture's features, you will find that with the onboard graphics and an onboard digital camera, this thing is truly amazing.

Like I said, it's not a Mac 2k, you cant put the fixture at FOH and expect it to throw to the stage clearly but if you place these things in the right spot, they do amazing work. But hey, I'm not bitter at your thoughts. :)

It's rare for me to stand behind something that's not Martin. he he he But I do see some fo the down sides but for what this thing does, the orbital head will not even come close. Trust me we have 2 in a rig right now.

jonhirsh said:
Mabey, a demo is just a demo but i have seen video and pictures of them in use and have spoken to people i know who have used them and we all agree that the product is not quite there yet. its close and is definitly the way of the future but the lumens need to be higher i could care less about speed it just needs to be bright to be able to keep up. at this point it time i would rather have a projector with there orbital mirror head but hey like you said its just opinion

One must remember that brightness of the lamp at some point reaches cost effectiveness of lamp the fixture. Could be brighter, but would once lamps for it gets considered and the larger fixture required for it, such a cost be worth it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back