Digital Surfaces dLive DX box routing, gain and iPad app

Crisp image

Good Morning all.
I was using a dLive mixrack DM48 with a S3000 Surface and a DX box attached to the surface and everything (ins and outs) routed through the DX box. Using the iPad app there does not seem to be support for adjusting gain on the inputs routed from the DX box connected to DX 5/6 on the surface. Is this correct or am I missing something?
In this case the mixrack was 60m away inside on the stage and we were outside. I have the cat cable from the mixrack to the surface and then a Wifi AP connected to the surface (which was side stage) and then making all adjustments via iPad.
Can anyone shed some light?
Happy New Year
Regards
Geoff

I started writing this comment thinking I knew what the problem was... then reread the post. and now i don't think I really know enough to comment. My 2 cents, or things to realize from what I think I recall. And as I type this i think i'm thinking about the "iLive" The brains of the that console was the stage rack, not the control surface. But I think the Dlive stuff has brains in both...... so. I don't know.

This post rated 100% unhelpful after the fact.

Good Morning all.
I was using a dLive mixrack DM48 with a S3000 Surface and a DX box attached to the surface and everything (ins and outs) routed through the DX box. Using the iPad app there does not seem to be support for adjusting gain on the inputs routed from the DX box connected to DX 5/6 on the surface. Is this correct or am I missing something?
In this case the mixrack was 60m away inside on the stage and we were outside. I have the cat cable from the mixrack to the surface and then a Wifi AP connected to the surface (which was side stage) and then making all adjustments via iPad.
Can anyone shed some light?
Happy New Year
Regards
Geoff
Allen-Heath is still in business and last I'd heard, answers support emails. You might make an inquiry of them and get an answer "from the horse's mouth."

I started writing this comment thinking I knew what the problem was... then reread the post. and now i don't think I really know enough to comment. My 2 cents, or things to realize from what I think I recall. And as I type this i think i'm thinking about the "iLive" The brains of the that console was the stage rack, not the control surface. But I think the Dlive stuff has brains in both...... so. I don't know.

This post rated 100% unhelpful after the fact.
I think I have it sorted out. After talking to a friend about it he said it sounds like gain sharing was enabled. I said the other surface was still plugged in to the mixrack and he said that would be the issue. Unplug the other surface and it will work. The other surface for reference is a S5000 in the house mix position. I will be in a position to test it next week so will report back then.

Ok I am back to report my findings.
I tested the system with both surfaces plugged in and the DX box plugged into the mixrack. I had gain control on the iPad. So I then connected the DX box to the surface directly and found that the gain control went away and I only had trim.
The outcome of this testing is if the DX box is connected directly to the mixrack (DX1 or DX2) then gain control is achievable on the iPad. However if the DX box is connected to the Surface (DX3 or DX4) then the gain is not available on the iPad.
Strange I think but at least I know now.
Regards
Geoff

Ok I am back to report my findings.
I tested the system with both surfaces plugged in and the DX box plugged into the mixrack. I had gain control on the iPad. So I then connected the DX box to the surface directly and found that the gain control went away and I only had trim.
The outcome of this testing is if the DX box is connected directly to the mixrack (DX1 or DX2) then gain control is achievable on the iPad. However if the DX box is connected to the Surface (DX3 or DX4) then the gain is not available on the iPad.
Strange I think but at least I know now.
Regards
Geoff
Only 1 source of head amp control at a time seems like a Really Good Idea.

Only 1 source of head amp control at a time seems like a Really Good Idea.
While I agree with this it is a PITA when setting a small gig outside where there is not a position FOH (Dlive mixrack was still inside 60m away) for the mix (surface was side stage) and it has to be done on an iPad. No control of gain at that point is not much fun.
Also I am new to audio (a late comer at the age of over 50) so it has been a steep learning curve. Having said that I got thrown in to mix on a Digico S21 the other day and I had to ask how to turn it on. At that end of that day I learnt quite a lot about the S21!
Love learning new stuff. That is why CB is one place I go to each day.
Regards
Geoff

This probably has to do with the control architecture on the dLive, however I find it interesting and somewhat annoying. When the iPad or computer is connected to the CDM/DM which is typical you aren't controlling the surface rather the DM/CDM. Fun that there is an option in the computer software to connect to one or the other or both.
I haven't dug too terribly far into this with mine, but I have noticed the difference.

For the most part, I find the dLive fairly easy to pick up it's certainly not as easy to pick up as the SQ or such. The Digico S21 has it's own quirks. But Geez is a dLive easier to pcik up than the SD consoles.

I don't have any DX boxes at the moment so I wasn't able to play and test this myself. Most of my I/O is via Dante.

This probably has to do with the control architecture on the dLive, however I find it interesting and somewhat annoying. When the iPad or computer is connected to the CDM/DM which is typical you aren't controlling the surface rather the DM/CDM. Fun that there is an option in the computer software to connect to one or the other or both.
I haven't dug too terribly far into this with mine, but I have noticed the difference.

For the most part, I find the dLive fairly easy to pick up it's certainly not as easy to pick up as the SQ or such. The Digico S21 has it's own quirks. But Geez is a dLive easier to pcik up than the SD consoles.

I don't have any DX boxes at the moment so I wasn't able to play and test this myself. Most of my I/O is via Dante.
I am learning the SD series when I get a chance/opportunity as most of the other rooms I work have an SD. I wouldn't have set up the Dlive like that normally but we were going to use a different mixrack (an iLive) but then the PSU decided it did not want to play so let some smoke escape. It is off getting repaired ATM. So a quick solution was to run the cart cable form the onstage mixrack to the surface outside beside the stage and then connect the DX to the surface (DX5) which would give me all the ins and outs I needed for the afternoon. This weekend is different. we are bringing the mixrack outside to the stage and all will be good and shall be amazing.
Getting my peanut sized brain around all the different setups for different gear is the worst part. Once I know where I am going then the rest is a bit easier. The mix usually sounds OK but not awesome yet but for the most part there is no feedback which I think is the first hurdle to get over.
Lots of Youtube videos to watch and then get my hands dirty.
Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back