DLP Projection at home

My own network is at home (nowhere near school) and i have never tried setting it up at school.... but maybe it's something to look into.

Our network is "Locked Down" but there are PLENTY of ways arround everything that they have done. one example is the copy and paste function being disabled to prevent files being transfered, but you can still right click and drag files wherever you want them...... doesnt make much sense. Our system defanatly "Has issues" but it also has 2 or 3 T1 lines (depending on the status of the distance learning lab) tied right into a www2 portal.... so that's REALLY cool. When they redid our school they tied EVERYTHING in to the network, even the climate control for every building in the district. (you can ajust the temp of any building from any other building or at home with the propper permissions). Even phone calls are through the Network, even from building to building, and since it can be a long distance call to call one end of our district from the other, no matter what school you call from, it routes the singal to the elementary school in that town and then out so its always a local call! In short, we have a realy crazy network, but some very simple security things have been overlooked. (not just the c/p thing... that's just an example of their attempts, i dont really think that even counts as a security breach, just an inconvinence!)

they disabled copy and paste? wow. that sucks.
yea, our district is networked like woah too. everything, even the projectors, phones, and...just about everythign is on the network.

our security is pretty tight. it takes a lot to get in to anything your not supposed to and when you do, they pick up on it pretty quickly and disable it, but its still possible to do halo2 because its so different from everything else.

heh, just today i was looking around on my security clearance and i relised they frogot to disable printer installations. so i was able to install the printer drivers for the printers at a random classroom at one of the elementry schools and print out random stuff. that was fun.

Now your not suggesting that you do anything against school polocy are you..... and your certainly not suggesting anyone else try this.... :) I know the copy/paste thing b/c who in their right mind would count copy/paste as a security vulnerability?

i checked the rules to see if this wasnt allowed, since if it wasnt, then i could get banned from the network, there was nothing in the rules, so i did it. it was simply a loophole.

You have not found a loophole in the policy with the printer drivers. My guess is you did a Find Printer from the print dialog and punched something, in hit a printer at another location. This install is called point and print. It's a whole different bag of fun than installing printer drivers from a disk, etc.

Your IT folks need to get those printers ACLed either way so you're not harassing people in other buildings. Duh.

These things ya'll are describing are not what I as an IT person consider security so much as policy. Policy settings do prevent you from copy/pasting files. I can see the use though no way to prevent the workarounds as you've noticed. Security settings - firewall rules, router ACLs, switch port security, vlans to an extent...

Amazing the different levels of security available. I'm outside a college on the west side of Chicago using their wireless signal right now. No passwords, no nothing. Granted, I'm not trying to hack their network, but I bet it's possible.

I never bother with paid wireless networks. I find free hotspots all over town. Home networks with no security, businesses, schools, you name it.

And no I won't name the school, but it's not the one Brian is at.

"paid wireless networks" haha, there isnt any thing like that where I live. Unless they figure out a way to get trees to broadcast wi-fi signals... driving down the road I can pick up different people's personal wireless networks, but the only building in a 7 town area arround me that has wireless access deisnged for anything other then personal home use is the school.... although my network at home has a wireless component to it too.

in my school I kinda friendly with some of the computer techs so I get all these things from them. Today one of them found out that our school was throwing out prefectly good monitors so both him and me go into the server room which is suppose to be offlimits to students and he basically (after making sure it ok with his boss) helps me take two monitors out of the room for our theater booth.
I once went over my file space limit on our school server and normal procedure is to delete all the files on the student's account but one of the tech managers is like you got a week to reduce you file size.

So point of story for schools get to know the techs if your students they help you out. Then again the only reason I know them is because I'm the producer for my school's televised annnouncements and the room shares it with two of the techs.

Note: I appologize if it seems I'm ranting,boosting,etc.

Ya, I am friendly with them too... I have gotten lots of little helpful hands doing different things.

Just to update you guys, I got the cables this morning. 2.5ish days after ordering (I orderd late sunday evening and they were here Wed. morning) I dont think this is too bad considering the huge snowstorm we had that slowed down all transportation in the area.

Sombra2 said:
I once went over my file space limit on our school server and normal procedure is to delete all the files on the student's account but one of the tech managers is like you got a week to reduce you file size.

Ouch. Standard IT policy is to set file system quotas, user write access is denied when in excess. Deleting user files for any reason less infected by a virus is not SOP at any IT department I know of. Rules are different in a school, but still. That's not kosher by any means. You run over, you can't save additional data until you clean out. Got a good reason, make a written request via the proper channels and the admin will review it and make a decision (or worse call a meeting).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back