DMX Adapters; Another 5 pin to 3 pin DMX question

Yes, you can run three conductor cable to five pin connectors, leaving pins 4 and five unused. There are those, that will state that it is not true DMX as defined in the standard. The standard even says that manufactures should run pins four and five from the male to the female connector of the daisy chain loop. It is a lovely thought, but it sure is a lot easier and cheaper to find twisted braid shielded cable in the 110 to 130 ohm impedance. If buget is a factor, which it is for most folks on CB, and you know that you will never use the second pair, then surely run just one pair. Even though several folks have listed the functions on the 3 and 5 pin connectors, it is important to note that the shield of the cable connects from pin one to pin one, and do not connect pin one and the shield to the shell of the connector, the way it is done on some audio connectors. It is important to note that Ground on DMX pin 1 is not the same as chassis ground.

JD: No flames from me, I've done similar also. Not as an SOP, but occasionally.

dramatech: Good point about "if you know you'll never need pins 4&5...budget..." The only time I've ever needed pins 4&5 is with a WholeHogII's "Rigger's Remote" (RFU).

Last edited:
Yes. All one needs is an XLR3 to XLR5 adaptor. You can buy them pre-made or make them yourself if you can solder.

ok, so I wont be losing any data/functionality without the other 2 connections?

No, you will not. The other two pins were for a planned future expansion that never really materialized as a standard (though some users and manufacturers have found alternate uses for them).

Just do not give into the temptation to use mic cable ;)

Just do not give into the temptation to use mic cable ;)

I maintain that the primary reason for 5 pins is to prevent such silliness. Of course damaging equipment by mixing systems is another good reason...

Hello

I am considering buying an American DJ lighting console for some basic shows I'm doing - they have a 3 pin DMX but I am using 5 pin DMX ETC Sensor dimmer racks. Can this be converted or no?

DMX512 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

XLR-5 pinout:
1.Signal Common
2.Data 1- (Primary Data Link)
3.Data 1+ (Primary Data Link)
4.Data 2- (Optional Secondary Data Link)
5.Data 2+ (Optional Secondary Data Link)

XLR-3 pinout:
1.Ground
2.Data 1- (Primary Data Link) (Switchable to DMX+ on Some Controllers)
3.Data 1+ (Primary Data Link) (Switchable to DMX- on Some Controllers)

We have a Behringer LX Console with a 5pin DMX output but we recently upgrade to LED Cans with 3 pin DMX so we made out own converter cable and never had a problem (except for our other dimmer packs - don't go there!). The head technician has now changed the output port to a 3 pin making it even easier!

-TechieTim

Basically, at our school we have stage lights connected using 3 rounded plug switches to a dimmer backstage. This then goes through a 5 pin to the stage box at the back of the hall which then goes into the jester lighting board as a 5 pin dmx. However we also have some other dmx lights such as a LED and moving light, however these are inputs and outputs of 3 pin dmx's only, which won't go into the jester board. Previously I have plugged them into another lighting board using a 3 pin to 5 pin adapter, but I all want them in the same board. So, I just wanted to ask, how I would be able to link them all to the same lighting board. I was thinking to get an adapter for the 5 pin to a 3 pin and then a splitter of 3 pin and 3 pin to a 5 pin to the lighting board. Does anyone have any other suggestions and if this would work. Thanks in advanced

Welcome to CB!

You could use a 5 pin to 3 pin to connect the first light and then use a 3 pin to 3 pin to connect the next light using the first light's DMX out. You could use a DMX splitter at the lighting board to connect it to the dimmers and the lights.

If you can draw a picture of your plan then I can probably help more.

[Above two posts moved here from another location.]

Use as many adapter, 3-5 and adapter, 5-3 as you need to. Just be aware each connection introduces another possible failure point as well as slight degradation of signal. So most would plan their DMX data distribution scheme to use as few adapters as possible. Some opto-splitter s, for example, come with both 3-pin and 5-pin outputs. Some fixtures have both, and it's no problem to go in one way and come out the other, using the fixture itself as the adapter. Provided your 3-pin XLR cable isn't actually mic cable (as @JD said in post#6 above), you'll be golden.

Last edited:
Welcome to CB!

You could use a 5 pin to 3 pin to connect the first light and then use a 3 pin to 3 pin to connect the next light using the first light's DMX out. You could use a DMX splitter at the lighting board to connect it to the dimmers and the lights.

If you can draw a picture of your plan then I can probably help more.
Yes, I'm a bit confused, but I drew a picture
image.jpg

If you are only using one universe, then the output of your desk should go to an opto-splitter. Each output can then feed a string of fixtures and dimmers. (No Y adapters allowed.) Each string should end in a DMX terminator.
As for the 3 to 5, Current DMX uses a 5 pin standard but only pins 1,2 and 3 are used. Same pin numbers on either 3 pin or 5 pin, but 5 pin does not use pins 4 and 5 (although some of us have put them to use but that's another story ;) )

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ok, so I buy a splitter box and attach them all to them 5 pins?

However, would I work if I plugged the DMX 3 pin into a 5 pin adapter and then put it into the bottom of the daisy chained dimmer packs?

The cable goes in the bottom dimmer pack hole and goes to the lighting board? Will this work, obviously I will need to address them again

A few questions:
Any hints for us on what the box in the booth is? Is it just a patch panel, or actual equipment? If it's an inline opto, you could replace it with an opto/iso that has a few more outputs.
On your drawing, the four lights labeled "Stage Lights" all get three-pin cable too. I assume that it's power rather than DMX, but just wanted to verify.

How close to the stage is the room with the dimmers? You could get signal to the stage devices from the pass-through on the dimmers. It might be easier than a home run back to the board.

Depending on placement of the FOH mover, you could run to it, then back to the box in the booth. It's hard to tell you which path to take without seeing the space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back