DMX adapters

In a 4-pin cable, pins 2 and 3 carry the data and pins 1 and 4 carry DC power to power the unit. If you were to make a 5-pin to 4-pin cable to plug into your devices, they would not work since they are only getting data but no power, like a moving head fixture that isn't plugged into AC and just has data going to it. The power supply receives data through the 5-pin connectors and sends it out through the 4-pin connectors along with power. That being said, is there a way to make it work using the theoretical 5-pin to 4-pin cable? Yes, but I'm not going to say it here so that I can't be blamed for any damage to equipment. 😉

Hey, @Pdnate - your DMX cat will connect to the 5-pin male DMX connector on the PSU-50. The PSU-50 then passes along both 24Vdc power AND the DMX to the Icues and EZ Irises. To check them, set up the PSU-50 as you normally would for show, plug the Icues or irises in with a 4-pin cable, and connect the DMXcat to the PSU-50's DMX-IN port - you'll be good to go. If you're having other issues with those devices, may be best to check them and see what the hivemind here has to say about possibly solutions - they can be tricky!

If you're going to be doing a lot of testing/repair of Iris slot accessories and scrollers (i.e. XLR4 gear) just get a small power supply like the Apollo SmartPower-75 - - then you can just plug in your DMX source to the XLR5 and plug in the xlr4 to your accessory and off you go - just be sure the device conforms to the Forerunner/Apollo pin configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back