DMX banner rotater

Pie4Weebl

Fight Leukemia
I seem to remember high end had something like this at one point? Did anyone use them ever/ know where to get some?

I'm looking to hang 3' wide by 6' tall panels that I would like to rotate with indexable control of, so I am looking for a solution...

I think a right arm would be overkill/ a bit impractical for what I am looking to do.

I'm interested in this as well but on a low tech option. Does anyone know of a way this can manually be done? like with some ropes offstage that can be pulled bu a crew member? any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'm interested in this as well but on a low tech option. Does anyone know of a way this can manually be done? like with some ropes offstage that can be pulled bu a crew member? any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

It is dependent on so many variables. Do you have a rigging and a batten or do you have to hang this from who-knows-what? How much does your piece weight? Does it have to spin countless times or simply back and forth through no more than 180 degrees? 360 degrees?

It seems not too difficult to imagine a horizontal wheel that is clamped to a batten and can turned. Depending on weight and what you have to end up using for a bearing - and this could be pipe in a piece of 2 x 4 and some wax or talc or something - and a plywood disk on top. Probably a couple of layers of plywood so its like a drum with flanges. Depending on weight and size of prop I'd think somewhere between 2 ' and 4' in diameter. Attach some rope (hopefully one without too much stretch) and pulleys and a floor block - like a traveler curtain - and away you go. If only 180 degrees you might get away with just an "arm", not a whole disk. Not free but not too expensive.

It is dependent on so many variables. Do you have a rigging and a batten or do you have to hang this from who-knows-what? How much does your piece weight? Does it have to spin countless times or simply back and forth through no more than 180 degrees? 360 degrees?

It seems not too difficult to imagine a horizontal wheel that is clamped to a batten and can turned. Depending on weight and what you have to end up using for a bearing - and this could be pipe in a piece of 2 x 4 and some wax or talc or something - and a plywood disk on top. Probably a couple of layers of plywood so its like a drum with flanges. Depending on weight and size of prop I'd think somewhere between 2 ' and 4' in diameter. Attach some rope (hopefully one without too much stretch) and pulleys and a floor block - like a traveler curtain - and away you go. If only 180 degrees you might get away with just an "arm", not a whole disk. Not free but not too expensive.

Yes we have a counterweight system and battens. I'm trying to hang/flip 3' x 11' canvas banners that are painted. I would like have them spin once during the show and its a simple 180 degree turn. I like the pulley floor block idea, I'll explore that. Thank you.

The trick to the rotator part is to get the effect of a large diameter "drum" on top so you have a good,even, continuous lever arm. There are means to keep it more compact - like bevel gears - but no longer simple. The larger the diameter, the better the control. And the floor block can just be a pulley attached to a sand bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back