DMX Control Software

Hi, i have decided to go more computer based with the few dmx fixtures at my school but need some advice.

I have (or getting) a USB-DMX Dongle so that is no problem. However, i am not sure about the software. This is a school we are talking about here so the budget is very small. I am looking for some software that can run 2-4 dmx scanners and supports many different makes of scanner (ours are an obscure company). So this doesnt need to be very powerful but quite compatible.

Could anybody give me some suggestions of softaware to consider?

Thanks,
Dan

dangreaves said:
Hi, i have decided to go more computer based with the few dmx fixtures at my school but need some advice.

I have (or getting) a USB-DMX Dongle so that is no problem. However, i am not sure about the software. This is a school we are talking about here so the budget is very small. I am looking for some software that can run 2-4 dmx scanners and supports many different makes of scanner (ours are an obscure company). So this doesnt need to be very powerful but quite compatible.

Could anybody give me some suggestions of softaware to consider?

Thanks,
Dan
If you already have a dongle you need to find the software that was made for it. It should be free, most companies give the software out but charge for the dongle, the tradeoff being only the software only works with that one.

Also most peices of sotware let you make your own profiles for any moving fixture so with some information you should be fine.

Hey,
we are in the same situation except we dont have any moving fixtures yet but need new software b/c the old one is too horrible, so we are going with BlueLiteX1, its 1000 dollars for 4 dmx universes and a great software with alot of features and really really cheap when compared, I would highly suggest it as i have used the software, offline since we havent purchased the rack mountable usb interface and have loved it, so give it a try!

Im at a school in the UK so $1000 is a bit steep for my school.

I have noticed that software that comes with dongles is often very limited to effects ect.

I was under the impression that you can use any software and then just get it to detect the hardware.

I have found some software called VisualDMX. This is free from a company that do not sell USB-DMX Interfaces and it looks quite good when i have been using it offline. It simply has a detect hardware feature that should detect the dongle right?

I cant get to school for another 7 weeks so i cant try it out with the dongle.

Is any of this actually true or am i completely wrong?

Thanks,
Dan

If it's a proprietary dongle, then it won't work. If it's a universal dongle, then it'll work. Hopefully.

Good luck!

you should also do some searching on this forum about pc dmx solutions. It's been discussed in numerous threads.

But the GENERAL rule is: If the software is made to work with its own proprietary software, it won't work with anything else. If there is no hardware or software made by that mfg., it will work with some other hardware/software, but not any of the ones where the same mfg. makes both.

Last edited:
If you are looking for both a hardware and software solution that is open source and light on the budget, may I suggest checking out either the Open DMX USB or the DMX USB Pro from Enttec(http://enttec.com/dmxusb.php). Both of these devices come with either a factory made lighting product, or have the drivers and source code available so that you can make your own spinoff lighting program. The neatest thing about the Open DMX USB is that both the hardware and software are open source(Enttec provides the source code for beginning apps aswell as the PCB and part numbers for a DIY kit). I personally own one of these and it is really handy for those productions when you have to run everything by yourself(my light and sound booth are on different floors), or just for handling all of your intel lights on a seperate console from our main dimmers.

<for some odd reason after writing this it really sounds like an advertisement...atleast there arent any flashing banners or excentric exclamation marks lying around....!>

klaue said:
If you are looking for both a hardware and software solution that is open source and light on the budget, may I suggest checking out either the Open DMX USB or the DMX USB Pro from Enttec(http://enttec.com/dmxusb.php). Both of these devices come with either a factory made lighting product, or have the drivers and source code available so that you can make your own spinoff lighting program. The neatest thing about the Open DMX USB is that both the hardware and software are open source(Enttec provides the source code for beginning apps aswell as the PCB and part numbers for a DIY kit). I personally own one of these and it is really handy for those productions when you have to run everything by yourself(my light and sound booth are on different floors), or just for handling all of your intel lights on a seperate console from our main dimmers.

<for some odd reason after writing this it really sounds like an advertisement...atleast there arent any flashing banners or excentric exclamation marks lying around....!>

Hey all -- it's been forever since I've posted here.

Anyways, I've been playing around with an Open DMX USB and the Pro model as well for the past few weeks so I figured I'd share what I learned.

Open DMX USB--crashes. It could be just the computer I'm running it on (old Compaq laptop, 333mhz) but it crashes. Slowing down the output rate helps, some. Other than that, it outputs 1 universe DMX.

DMX USB Pro--This is the way to go. No problems as of yet. In and Out work fine.

As for software, there are tons of different applications out there for the enttec adapters. The two I've narrowed it down to are Freestyler and Chamsys MagicQ PC.

Freestyler: PC type interface. Simple and to the point, but not a lot of advanced features. Great for programming intels. Small learning curve.

MagicQ PC: Console Emulation. The learning curve is a bit steeper, but the console offers more advanced features. Very close interface to media servers. Great conventional fixture control. Programs somewhat like a standard console.

I haven't used either for a live show, yet, but I'm kinda leanin towards MagicQ PC. I've been messin around with them to interface to WYSIWYG and to ArkaosVJ. Both are free (the software, not the USB DMX adapters... :) )

Hey,
I'd say research some dongles you like, and some software you like, then if you can;t figure out which will work with which, give the companies a call and see what they can tell you.

-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back