DMX controlled Light switch

lilricky

When I performed a search the answer didn't appear.

I'm in need of a DMX controlled light switch. It doesn't need to be dimmable, just a simple on/off switch that can be switched from my board, After many years of too much ambient light, now we need to go house lights off at the start of the performance. The physical switch is on the other side of the room and I'm already tired of fighting crowds to get there.

Not sure I understand your question. DMX controlled switch? Do you mean relay? I don't know if you want to control the power or make the switch move. If looking for a device that can replace your switch, still work like a local switch, and be DMX controlled - never heard of such a device.

Might be easier and less expensive to have a three way switch installed next to console and at wall switch.

Do you know if the switch is a simple single pole on and off for one circuit? And is it in a box with other switches or all by itself - single gang?

ANd do you want the switch to still be active when you turn off by DMX or could you turning off by DMX deactivate the switch? In other words turn off the power before the switch. Its fine if you always remember to turn it back on after a show.

Yep. just a single throw switch. I'm guessing there's a relay involved. I had one bookmarked in my phone for a year, now that I need it, it's gone.
That being said, the 3 way switch sounds fine. I'll give the electrician a call on Monday.
Thanks

Maybe a wifi enabled switch would work?

When I performed a search the answer didn't appear.

I'm in need of a DMX controlled light switch. It doesn't need to be dimmable, just a simple on/off switch that can be switched from my board, After many years of too much ambient light, now we need to go house lights off at the start of the performance. The physical switch is on the other side of the room and I'm already tired of fighting crowds to get there.
Calling @jfleenor
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

How does this affect emergency egress lighting? Will an installed Panic Button still work? If not this is DOA...

I've wished for such a device for years. More than one client has pointed to a bank of toggle switches or wall box dimmers and asked to put them on the console.

So far it seems there isn't enough room in a single or double gang switch box for the relay and DMX electronics. The newish wireless DMX chips would definitely help, as they would also remove any LV wiring complexity. A Lutron Graphic Eye might work, but last I knew doesn't respond to DMX, only sends it.

You might be able to do something with ETCs EchoFlex switch and a scene controller. Anyone have hands on time with that stuff?

Bill brings up a good note. If the HL are all on one switch, either it's a small house maybe with fluorescents, or something else is going on.

I've wished for such a device for years. More than one client has pointed to a bank of toggle switches or wall box dimmers and asked to put them on the console.

So far it seems there isn't enough room in a single or double gang switch box for the relay and DMX electronics. The newish wireless DMX chips would definitely help, as they would also remove any LV wiring complexity. A Lutron Graphic Eye might work, but last I knew doesn't respond to DMX, only sends it.

You might be able to do something with ETCs EchoFlex switch and a scene controller. Anyone have hands on time with that stuff?

Bill brings up a good note. If the HL are all on one switch, either it's a small house maybe with fluorescents, or something else is going on.
@lilricky and @RickR Quoting you: "If the HL are all on one switch, either it's a small house maybe with fluorescents, or something else is going on."
Among plausible "something elses" it could be a 2 pole switch simultaneously controlling two individual 120 Volt 20 Amp circuits.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Ran across this:

Available up to 4-gang.
DMX switch.png

Interesting if a little sketchy on details. I used X10 when it was known as BSR, the Scottish turntable people. What's old is new again.
I was half asleep.

Insteon is a replacement for X10, from a different vendor; it's one of the top 3 home automation protocols as I understand the market. It didn't sound as if the OP actually needed to *cue* the houselight control; manual was ok, as long as it was *where ze was*. And the Insteon stuff's easy to come by and UL listed.

Are they really? Good to know. I gather Insteon's wire protocol is more reliable, and more capable...

As I understand it it’s merely a data transmission Protocal sent over main electrical wiring timed at the zero crossing point of the A.C. sine wave. I’ve used X10 stuff in my house for 20 years. I would assume the newer gear probably has a faster transmission rate, so maybe more reliable and can handle more devises. Maybe not an issue for the OP,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back