DMX Controlled Red Alert for Server Room

Edrick

Premium Member
Alright so I've got yet another new project that's going on. I work for a local TV Production company and we just finished / are finishing building out our whole new suite. As a part of this we have an enclosed server room that has a big glass window infront of it allowing us to show and have a view of all the equipment.

We thought it'd be cool to install some type of system that would give a live color representation of the status of how the systems are running.

So basically we have 3 Par LED Lamps that are RGB along with a strip LED RGB light. These all have DMX. What we'd like to do is two parts.

First with those plus maybe a few relay type circuits with actual spinning warning lights or those enclosed glass lamps with the protective cage over it along with the RGB Par / Strip Light we would like it first to be Blue (or green) ambient with a slight pulse when everything's running normally. Then from there it'd go to Yellow and pulse faster then finally Red Alert mode when the systems run into an issue.

Mode 1: Green / Blue Status- Slight Pulsating ambient lighting from 3 par + LED Strip.
Mode 2: Yellow - Faster Pulsating from 3 Par + LED Strip
Mode 3: Red Alert: 3 Par + LED Strip + Spinning Warning Lights or Those metal protected ones with Glass along with a sound queue.

Secondly, we'd like to have a red emergency button (mind you this will be clearly marked as a toy item) since we do have the enclosed emergency shutoff buttons that we don't want someone pressing. When you hid this red button we want the server room to go into Disco Mode where it activates a Disco Ball, Lighting, and some Music perhaps.

------

Now this is a serious project that we're doing, as a production company we like to be creative and have some fun. This isn't some small operation either (Over 200K in new equipment) but now it's time to add a bit of spice to the setup.

What we're thinking is some type of DMX controlled system so if anyone has recommendations for a Software based DMX Controller that'd be the first step. The next would be figuring out the relay situation, and then the sound queues.

For the network status we use a program called Lithium which pulls SNMP data from all of our gear and gives us a live view of our network. So ideally we'd set a threshold that when x variable is met it'll change the color scheme. Then we also need a way to interface the red disco buttons into the mix.

Have at it for suggestions! There is a little bit of a budget to work with on this. I wasn't given an exact number yet but recommend stuff and we'll see what we can do!

Not entirely a software based system, but it would have the hardware support for the contact from the "disco" button and is pretty easily programmed and changed as you see fit... Check out Unison Mosaic.

The configuration software is available free as well, so you can see if you like the interface.

There are all sorts of triggers that can be set including UDP Serial so your program could just send a command that when x threshold has been met, play timeline X.

Yes, I am biased in this recommendation, but I think it could fit your needs well.

Basically it's something that if there was a major problem like that actually required our full attention we could easily just reset it to standard blue or shut it off. For example however say there was a network outage that caused the system to issue "Red Alert" we could silence the noise, or we'd just have the noise go off for the first 15 seconds. Then the lighting would continue with "Red Alert" status until we issues a reset. Most of the time the problem can be fixed from the desk remotely as such we could leave the server room pulsing a red just for show whenever someone walks in.

So the short version is it's more of a show / comedic value. However if there is ever a serious situation it can be shutdown. We just want something with some character for whenever a bunch of our end users come in and continue to tell us the network is down. That way we can be like uh duh and look back at the flashing red server room.

Disco Mode is kinda the same idea just for fun whenever we want to show off. The whole office is a very relaxed environment where they do stuff like this for kicks. So it's not just us in the server relm trying to do something funny that others wouldn't find funny. It's going to be more of a company joke.

What would be an example of how we would setup that Mosaic? Is it like a relay module or how would we connect it up?

What would be an example of how we would setup that Mosaic? Is it like a relay module or how would we connect it up?

Mosaic is essentially a show control device. I can take many types of external triggers to start different cue stacks. It can output DMX to control dimmers, MLs, LEDs, etc. It is programmed via web interface and has many expansion modules for different applications. Info here: Lighting solutions for Theatre, Film & Television Studios and Architectural spaces : ETC

Another alternative:
proxy.php

Alcorn McBride DMX Machine Features
or
proxy.php

Alcorn McBride LightCue Features

Ah alright, those all look like good options. So basically that's what would be running the show. What options would you recommend for actually powering the devices.

For example the RGB Lights we have are already DMX Controlled so that's easy. However what relay systems would you recommend for activating things like the Red Alert strobes (either the spinning lights or the glass ones with the metal cage over it as mentioned). I suppose for those we could just use a portable dimming pack. But being that we just want it to go on / off a relay of sorts would probably be better for powering it with 120V.

Then we also need a way to tie in the "Disco" button to active a certain cue list that would say for example change to flashing lights, turn on disco ball motor, and turn on the music.

I can't seem to find pricing on anything, does anyone have ideas on what I should expect to spend price wise?

I looked into the DMX Show controller from Alcorn and their pricing is $995 for the machine. Although that's not a bad price in general as this is more of a pet project around here it probably wouldn't be the best choice. What do you guys think of some type of Software Based solution where we can connect a DMX Controller via USB? We have plenty of Mac Mini systems laying around that could run the software. Either windows if necessary or preferably OS X. Then from there maybe there's a relay solution for 120V Line appliances that we could connect via DMX or USB also?

That looks like it would solve the relay solution. But we still need a DMX Controller that would interface to the computer to control the RGB LED Pars.

Your best bet would likely be a computer with an ENTTEC dongle and some in-house programming. Someone around probably knows some programming, you just need a little daemon to listen for SNMP traps and shoot off some DMX and something to a PLC when you hit a threshold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back