DMX-Controlled Shutter

rphilip

Does anyone make a DMX controlled shutter assembly that can be used in a S4LED?

I've got an application where having one might solve my problem but would rather not go all the way to mover with shutters as I only need control of one of the shutters.

The application is at a HOW where we've got a small upstage curtain that we pretty much always want light. However want to be able to cut the light when the choir is seated just in front of the curtain so it's not lighting them up or in their eyes.

Thanks

Philip

Would it perhaps be easier to simply hang a second fixture with some way of deciding which to use?

Apollo make such a device :https://www.apollodesign.net/smart-move-vertical-dmx-1422

DHA also once made something similar called a Yo-Yo (or something like that) but I couldn't quickly find it online
I knew Apollo made stuff but I hadn't thought of using the gobo mover as a shutter, I think it certainly could work. I'll need to play with a light to see how well I can use the regular shutters for the other 3 edges with something like this in the accessory slot.

Would it perhaps be easier to simply hang a second fixture with some way of deciding which to use?
We've certainly thought of that but I'm not sure that two is enough, choir standing vs sitting, on a 16" vs 24" riser, right next the the curtin or a few feet in front, ...
It may still be the least bad option however.

Thanks

Philip

Yeah one set of fixtures for the curtain and a second set for sitting. How many fixtures are you going try to do the shutter trick on?

Also why not up or down light the curtain?

Does anyone make a DMX controlled shutter assembly that can be used in a S4LED?

I've got an application where having one might solve my problem but would rather not go all the way to mover with shutters as I only need control of one of the shutters.

The application is at a HOW where we've got a small upstage curtain that we pretty much always want light. However want to be able to cut the light when the choir is seated just in front of the curtain so it's not lighting them up or in their eyes.

Thanks

Philip

Philip, were you able to source a suitable DMX shutter for this HOW lighting position? I would agree with Lorem Ipsum that a Smart Move Vertical would be effective in this case.

Looking forward to your findings-

Philip, were you able to source a suitable DMX shutter for this HOW lighting position? I would agree with Lorem Ipsum that a Smart Move Vertical would be effective in this case.

I think the Smart Move Vertical will be the right solution, just haven't had time to make it happen yet. The light is question is a 10 degree tube, I did have a chance to play with another 10 degree and for this application I don't think the difference in focus between the shutters and the smart move will be a problem. I just used an empty gobo holder and held it in the accessory slot and ran it in and out.

I wish could up or down light this. The choir some times sit with with in 6" of the curtain so uplighting would be tough, there's organ pipes above so a high angle downlight would cause other problems also. We have a choir some where between 1/3 and 2/3 of the time so its significant but they aren't always there.

In the attached picture the chairs and risers are much further out than some times. The light I want to use is hung on center line at about 30 deg up.

Philip

Attachments

• IMG_0484.jpeg
    IMG_0484.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 132

Users who are viewing this thread

Back