DMX dipswitches

grjmmr

I recently bought a chauvet obey 10 and a chauvet colorstrip. I am attempting to program a scene and it calls that I need to set the dipswitch. The obey 10 manual shows a mechanical dipswitch but I do not see one on the controller. I was told that the dipswitch may be on the colorstrip. So how do set the colorstrip to 1 on and everything else off, thus getting scene 1. I am completely new and would appreciate any help.

~Brett

Sounds like you're trying to run before you crawl. You should understand more about how dmx works in theory before you start with this, especially since the controller (and probably the fixtures) have such "in-depth" manuals. Search around this site for the basics of the protocol. Once you understand about data, binary addressing, etc., you'll have an easier time.

Good Morning Brett

If the display says " A001" or maybe "D001" your good to go. Most fixtures come set to 001 out of the box.
Do not use MICROPHONE cable. Its not the same as DATA cable.
As JD said, page 11 tells you how to change the fixtures DMX address.
Push the MODE button until you see "SdAd" ( set DMX address ), Sometimes using UP , DOWN works to scroll thru menu's
ENTER, UP or DOWN until you get the address you need, then ENTER.
Repeat for the other fixtures if any. ( I see you only have 1 )

Now for the console.

Read the book
http://www.chauvetlighting.com/products/manuals/Obey_10_UM_Rev3_WO.pdf
sit down with the console & fixture & play
Page 6 is for fixture addressing / you should have done this already.
Page 8 starts you PROGRAMING your scenes
page 10 is playback

Your dealer should be able to help you with questens. If not or you purchase on line call me at my shop.

Good Luck Have FUN

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Jack.

Many moons ago I was a dj and the dmx controller and lights, to me, seemed a lot easier to program. Yes my vender should be able to help me and no they have clue what they are selling. Going to look at the cabling because what you described I had already done about a week ago. I now am wondering if I was sold a mic cable instead of a dmx cable.

Hi Brett

On the back of the OBEY 10 is a POLARITY switch. that swaps pins 2 & 3 on the DMX output.
I had a teacher just last week with an OBEY 70 with that issue. look at that first.

Mic cable will work, just not Reliably.

sorry if it sounded like I was talking down to you
but you said you are new.

Last edited:
Good Morning Brett

If the display says " A001" or maybe "D001" your good to go. Most fixtures come set to 001 out of the box.
Do not use MICROPHONE cable. Its not the same as DATA cable.
As JD said, page 11 tells you how to change the fixtures DMX address.
Push the MODE button until you see "SdAd" ( set DMX address ), Sometimes using UP , DOWN works to scroll thru menu's
ENTER, UP or DOWN until you get the address you need, then ENTER.
Repeat for the other fixtures if any. ( I see you only have 1 )

Now for the console.

Read the book
http://www.chauvetlighting.com/products/manuals/Obey_10_UM_Rev3_WO.pdf
sit down with the console & fixture & play
Page 6 is for fixture addressing / you should have done this already.
Page 8 starts you PROGRAMING your scenes
page 10 is playback

Your dealer should be able to help you with questens. If not or you purchase on line call me at my shop.

Good Luck Have FUN

hello Jack,
i just bought a cubix 2.0 and the dealer advice me to take obey 10... i just set the cubix 2 addresse to d506 but going to obey 10 is really a pain. i been reading the manual for 2 days, saw the last part of your comment, but i still can get it.... can you help me? i just need a step-by-step words from an expert,,, I'm really NEW with this things...
THANKS IN ADVANCE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back