DMX Interface Compatability

I can't see a reason why it shouldn't. I had something similar in my previous school where I could control a Horizon 24 with one of these after I had took it apart and fitted a new 5 pin DMX connector on the side.

Once you have the connector and the box all should work.......

I reccently sent an E-mail to Rosco, asking them whether the mentioned interface, would work with Horizon. The reply was basically "Horizon works slightly differently from those adaptors....Buy one of ours instead." I guess rosco would have said that considering that they only get paid if, someone buys an adaptor...
I think I am gonna try and get the adaptor anyway, and then see whether it works; hopefully the most I will have to do is simply change the DMX patch.

If I do get an adaptor, I will report back on how it goes.

Diarmuid

That interface won't work with Rosco, or Martin, or Hog software unless you're really good at programming USB gear. They all have slightly different coding, just enough so you can't use it.
There is tons of free open source software online though, that will work great with the Enntec box, and with a few tweaks, Sunlite software works too.
There are people constantly trying to code it for LightJockey, or Horizon. You can check the Enntec forums to see if anyone has actually done it yet. I was really interested in it a few months ago, and at that point nobody had cracked it for any of the "high end" software.

sound_nerd said:
That interface won't work with Rosco, or Martin, or Hog software unless you're really good at programming USB gear. They all have slightly different coding, just enough so you can't use it.

I can't speak for other manufacturers, but it isn't just a matter of being different for difference sake. We support up to 16 universes with a true data update rate of 30 Hz, and a frame update rate as fast as the standard allows.

Many top end consoles use a data update rate of 24 or 25 Hz, but we picked 30 Hz because of the emergence of video and media control. When you use motion generation on, say a Catalyst, Arkaos DMX, BLAST, etc., it looks smoother at 30 Hz. A higher data generation rate also has some advantages for some other specialized applications, like pyro and large frame laser stuff.

Bottom line, we looked at a bunch of interfaces before building and couldn't find one that could handle data rates and capacity we wanted. Also, a fair number have significant end-to-end data delay and driver problems.

We try to price aggressively (to avoid the need for someone to figure out, say, that the "high end" product interfaces with a visualizer via a memory mapped file...) But we decided that entry level for us was DMX in, out, and SMPTE support (so we could support all features on all interfaces) and no compromising update rates, so we are going to be $100 more than the cheapest possible offering, no matter what volume we can get up to (we just made the jump to building 500 at a time).

-jjf

Just curious what manufacturer you speak for, as I'm sure others are as well. It isn't in your profile, perhaps a good thing to add.

That's what I call a fully baked plan there, looking at all those areas of use.

I don't know if it will work or not, but those boxes seem to go pretty well on ebay (meaning they don't expire without someone bidding on them). So if it doesn't work, you shouldn't lose too much money, if any.

Radman said:
Just curious what manufacturer you speak for, as I'm sure others are as well. It isn't in your profile, perhaps a good thing to add.

That's what I call a fully baked plan there, looking at all those areas of use.

Uh, sorry, the last time I linked back here I got multiple tongue lashings. I don't mind giving a plug when it is on topic, but it is not my purpose for visiting forums. In fact, quashing an ill advised 'viral marketing' effort by a new sales hire is what got me to forums like this one in the first place.

Since this was my first ever rebuke, after more than a year of regular visits to multiple forums, I'm erroring on the side of caution. It is hard to tap people for my nefarious engineering purposes if I am already pegged as a leisure suit clad sales slime!

-jjf

It is my understanding, that if asked, you may say what manufacturer you are representing. You just can't tout your product above and beyond and it must be 100% relevant in mentioning it.

Foxinabox10 said:
It is my understanding, that if asked, you may say what manufacturer you are representing. You just can't tout your product above and beyond and it must be 100% relevant in mentioning it.

Thanks but, again, it doesn't matter that much. My point, that there are legitimate technical reasons that manufacturers don't all use the same dongles, is the important thing.

What I find interesting is how many posts I see in different forums from people who buy a DMX interface first, then go looking for software for it. In a market currently crowded with some truly crappy products, this seems backwards to me.

-jjf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back