DMX Leads

Hughesie

so the sound company that i have been doing work experience for has a strange name for one of their cables, they call a DMX cable a cable that is an XLR and power cable combined (they use them for powered speakers) which is rather confusing because i have always known of a DMX cable as a lighting cable (or 5 pin xlr)

i just thought you would have found that amusing:rolleyes:

People seem to pick up strange names for a lot of things. When I first started, I was told that any of those clamps that have a round interior are cheeseburgers. And two of them together are double cheeseburgers. Around here, that seems to be one of the most confused terms, because a lot of people call it something different.

There are several companies offering the combined audio/AC cables. I personally will never use them. The potential for catistrophic failure is a chance I won't take.

Just imagine the damage to your entire audio system if 120v or 240v were to short into your audio line level.

Here in the bigger NYC shops, those combos (be they in one jacket or bundled with fric tape) are commonly called "stingers". Of course, that was utterly confusing to me for a long time, because hanging around all the film/video types in college, an Edison extension was called a stinger. [shrug]

People seem to pick up strange names for a lot of things. When I first started, I was told that any of those clamps that have a round interior are cheeseburgers. And two of them together are double cheeseburgers. Around here, that seems to be one of the most confused terms, because a lot of people call it something different.

Cheeseburger is a common malaproprism for the correct term, cheseboro.

--A

There are several companies offering the combined audio/AC cables. I personally will never use them. The potential for catistrophic failure is a chance I won't take.
Just imagine the damage to your entire audio system if 120v or 240v were to short into your audio line level.
Link USA among others makes a product that is two cables in what is essentially a giant heat shrink tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back