DMX Lighting Software and Hardware

Here is my current setup at a church.

2 Dimmer packs (Elation Dimmer Packs) that control around 8, 64 par can incandescent lighting
4 Chavuet Colorail IRC LED's (Take 26 channels of DMX to have the most functionality)
2 Color strip LED's
Elation Scene Setter 24

I want to add more incandescent lighting (Par Cans) on the dimmer packs because we have a lot of extra par can lighting available,possibly one more Colorail and some DMX controlled par can LED lighting and maybe some intelligent lighting that I have laying around that is not being used. The Elation Scene Setter is not really designed to work with the colorail and colorstrip lighting. So the real question is what software and hardware do you recommend to control all of this hardware. I was looking into the ENTTEC DMX USB pro and found that you need to buy their software on top of the hardware. I have looked at the Chauvet USB to DMX and ChamSys MagicQ USB interface with the software. That is what I'm leaning towards as of now. I also have the requirement that I want to have sound activation as part of the software and I'm not seeing that. I'm really open to whatever software and hardware I need. I would like to stay under $250.

The last question is, I'm not sure if I should get hardware that can operate in two universes. Thanks for you help in advance.

Look into Chauvet ShowXpress, it has one universe of DMX control. As for sound Chauvet Show Xpress does support it but I haven't played around with it that much. You can also trigger presets with MIDI commands or keys. It also comes with a visualizer. But check it out its a free software so whats there to lose? And I would go with an EntTec USB to DMX.

CHAUVET | ShowXpress Software | Controller software, showxpress, computer controlled, dmx, dmx 512, computer dmx, programming, software download, lighting, Chauvet lighting, lighting controls | CHAUVET® Lighting

I use PC Dimmer 2012 with my Enttec Pro. It is free and open source. I am not sure how much sound activation you need but it does have beat syncing using MIDIClock. I use Virtual DJ which outputs the beat for each song playing. PC Dimmer has just about all the features of any paid software.

Enttec has the lowest cost USB - DMX interface. It's open source and works with a number of control programs.

I think you'll find Enttec had the lowest cost interface however now DMXking has the lowest cost USB DMX interface except ours actually has a microcontroller on board so it doesn't have all the timing issues.

I think you'll find Enttec had the lowest cost interface however now DMXking has the lowest cost USB DMX interface except ours actually has a microcontroller on board so it doesn't have all the timing issues.
I've used the Enttec DMX USB Pro for several years with many different control packages and fixtures. I've never had a timing issue (or any other issue for that matter.)

I use the Enttec DMX USB Pro for youth group at our church, the only issues I've had were software/computer related, not due to the Enttec adapter. Seems very stable.

I use Freestyler DMX with it, as it's fairly easy to learn and free. You can use the microphone input on the computer to pipe in something like the drum kick, and have the lights chase to it.

I've used the Enttec DMX USB Pro for several years with many different control packages and fixtures. I've never had a timing issue (or any other issue for that matter.)

The linked Enttec interface in a post above was Open DMX USB which is what I was referring to. Sorry for the confusion! The Enttec DMX USB Pro does not have timing issues.

An earlier post said Enttec was cheapest on the market so probably good to completely clarify.
Enttec Open DMX USB - No on board microcontroller and search around for timing issues people have with this unit. No isolation.
Enttec DMX USB Pro - Microcontroller for timing. Isolation.
DMXking ultraDMX Micro - Microcontroller for timing. No Isolation. Costs less than Enttec Open DMX USB, compatible with Enttec Pro applications.
DMXking ultraDMX RDM Pro - Microcontroller for timing. Isolation. Costs less than Enttec DMX USB Pro and compatible with Enttec Pro applications.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back