DMX Motor Base

Sounds like you might want an Apollo Right Arm... it's a brand new product that motorizes just about anything you can bolt onto it. Does both Pan and Tilt. They run under $1000 depending on the deal you get. It's a brand new product that was announced at LDI and I believe will be shipping soon... I control booths resident Apollo guy "Kelite" will tell us more if he sees this post. Or P.M. him for more info.
http://www.internetapollo.com/Products/RightArm/

City Theatrical makes a product called the "Auto Yoke" it costs twice as much and is very instrument specific. http://www.citytheatrical.com/

I think that elation also makes those spinners. The only thing about the media spinners is that they can only spin, they can't tilt.

The Apollo Right Arm is the way to go here. Kelite's signature has the link to the right arm page, and I'm sure that he'll be posting here soon!

It looks like both the Elation and Chauvet just pan. Does anybody know if they also tilt? That's a lot of money for just pan.

Would a moving mirror help? SGM and a couple others make moving mirror assemblies.

The moving mirror will probably cost as much as the Right Arm, and will require alignment of two pieces of gear instead of just one. I thought of that one, but the issue of alignment of source vs. mirror is something that you wouldn't want to have in addition to alignment of the source itself.

Like Soundlight said, most of these other options cost almost as much as a Right arm and don't have the same ability. I believe the list price on a right arm is about $1500 but I was recently quoted $896 as part of a $275,000 package deal. So there is your best and worst case scenario pricing. By the way I P.M.ed Kelite about this thread.

Yeah what are you trying to do with this base anyway?

This is the Apollo Right Arm

proxy.php

Learn more here:
http://www.internetapollo.com/Products/RightArm/

Wow, thats like using a chainsaw to cut basal wood. Its called use better spike tape and a few Fresnel at 10% with L166 or something of that sort. Also, if you can find an older technobeam, some of them have built in lazers.

Well, the right arm would do that all right, but it might not be worth the $900 or $1K that it will cost you.

The Elation Power Spot 250's have a laser and you get a little more functionality since it is an intelligent fixture as well. But I do have to agree with DarSax, glow tape. Although, we manage to do just fine with plain old rainbow colored spike tape even after the painters come back and paint the floor over the tape.

A couple of Fresnels with a dark gel and spike tape. If it's an area that will get lit regularly in a scene then use glow tape. If it's an area that doesn't get lit in the previous scene use white spike tape... it is the most visible in the dark. Use multiple colors of tape for multiple scene changes (i.e. Act 1 is white, Act two is blue). Be sure to test the spike tape with the color of the gel you use in your scene changing lights or you might have the crew stunned to see that everything looks the same color.

A laser pointer is a cool idea, but not practical when you consider every piece of furniture typically will have two spike marks. Also you may have a really hard time with the precision of the position accuracy. Apollo says the Right Arm is very accurate, but probably not enough for spike marks.

<A laser pointer is a cool idea, but not practical when you consider every piece of furniture typically will have two spike marks. Also you may have a really hard time with the precision of the position accuracy. Apollo says the Right Arm is very accurate, but probably not enough for spike marks.>

Hi gang, sorry I'm late to the thread. It was a very busy weekend at home- whew!

The Apollo Right Arm will operate using either 8 bit resolution for general wash fixtures and low channel requirements or using 16 bit resolution (5 channels) for long throws with ellipsoidals, video projectors, and laser devices. This 5 channel mode allows more accurate repositioning for various house applications.

Bear in mind the Right Arm may be set using any of four ranges of PAN, depending upon the range your production and placement requires. The choices of total PAN run from the widest at 340*, through 200*, 120* and the tightest at 90*. The 16 bit mode becomes tighter and tighter as the full range of PAN is narrowed.

The suggested LIST price for the Right Arm is $1195 through 2007, with many dealers having purchased the first run- due out shortly.

As far as the budget and feasibility of a laser marker versus spike and/or glow tape, it really depends upon the application. You may be better served by replacing spike/glow tape as needed- unless you would benefit by being able to reposition spots, Fresnels, video projectors, and other lighting effects from the same position. Again, depending upon your needs.

Great discussion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back