DMX Occupancy Sensor

John Noah

Is there such a thing? I'm looking to control a few high bay lights that now work with DMX. I have a 8 input DMX merger and would like a device that can send DMX signal when someone enters the room to send value to turn on lights and turn off when it senses nobody. We sometimes have randoms or cleaning crew that enter the space and need to do things.

Derickls

I'm not aware of any occupancy sensors that directly send out DMX.

What is your existing control system? Many occupancy sensors can work as a contact closure, if your current system can take in a contact closure that would be the easiest solution.

Otherwise you may have to add a small system to achieve the same solution. ETC Echo is one example that can do this, but you will need several parts. Echo Occupancy sensor, Echo DMX interface, and the power supply.

RonHebbard

Premium Member
Is there such a thing? I'm looking to control a few high bay lights that now work with DMX. I have a 8 input DMX merger and would like a device that can send DMX signal when someone enters the room to send value to turn on lights and turn off when it senses nobody. We sometimes have randoms or cleaning crew that enter the space and need to do things.
Calling @jfleenor
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Reactions: Noah Abrams

John Noah

the 0-10v are actually being used to dim the lights from DMX to Analog currently using a nitty interface. I am not sure of how I can maintain dmx control and occupancy control using the same contact closure. I think that ETC route sounds interesting. My idea is since I already have the dmx merger with 5 available inputs left, (one for board, one for house light operation near board, one for wall switch) when no signal is present the occupancy controls take over. The ETC seems like it has a few more steps than I needed, but that may actually work out to my favor. So I'd be looking at the ETC sensor, a dmx programmer, and 2 or 1 of their power supply?

Chris Pflieger

We (Touché Controls) are almost there with our Room Manger systems, which will be cost effective architectural controls with DMX.

Right now, to get DMX integration like that, I'd have to sell you a lot of pieces (the DMX interface, a sensor, a local interface module, and a master), and I'm pretty sure would be way out of your budget for this.

Derickls

the 0-10v are actually being used to dim the lights from DMX to Analog currently using a nitty interface. I am not sure of how I can maintain dmx control and occupancy control using the same contact closure. I think that ETC route sounds interesting. My idea is since I already have the dmx merger with 5 available inputs left, (one for board, one for house light operation near board, one for wall switch) when no signal is present the occupancy controls take over. The ETC seems like it has a few more steps than I needed, but that may actually work out to my favor. So I'd be looking at the ETC sensor, a dmx programmer, and 2 or 1 of their power supply?
A few pieces of equipment
ETC Echo DMX Scene controller
The occupancy sensor
and a power supply

the exact part numbers depend on your space and how you are installing them. ETC also had small DIN rail boxes. If you want to get even fancier there are button stations that go with the system. Button to turn lights on, lights turn off automatically. You will need an echo access interface for some more advanced programming, but your local ETC dealer should be able to provide a programming tech that can add one temporarily if needed.

Craig Hauber

The Doug Fleenor "Alarm Interface" sends a stored dmx scene upon contact closure. It also allows DMX pass-through when not triggered so you can use it without a merge box (if you only had 1 dmx source in your system). However that's a moot point with your multi-input merge.

It can be repurposed for this use with an appropriate contact closure occupancy sensor (or even a standard 120v one from Home Depot if you have it firing a relay instead of a lightbulb)

Now I'm trying to wrap my head around a foolproof way to make the sensor NOT work during a show. Because if you put a manual "disable" switch somewhere it will be forgotten either in the off or on position and either way could cause issues at the wrong times!

RonHebbard

Premium Member
The Doug Fleenor "Alarm Interface" sends a stored dmx scene upon contact closure. It also allows DMX pass-through when not triggered so you can use it without a merge box (if you only had 1 dmx source in your system). However that's a moot point with your multi-input merge.

It can be repurposed for this use with an appropriate contact closure occupancy sensor (or even a standard 120v one from Home Depot if you have it firing a relay instead of a lightbulb)

Now I'm trying to wrap my head around a foolproof way to make the sensor NOT work during a show. Because if you put a manual "disable" switch somewhere it will be forgotten either in the off or on position and either way could cause issues at the wrong times!
@Craig Hauber A non-dim controlled by the board could be commanded on at all times the board's in use. The non-dim could operate a relay to disable the occupancy sensor.
Think POSITIVE.
Test NEGATIVE.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Craig Hauber

@Craig Hauber A non-dim controlled by the board could be commanded on at all times the board's in use. The non-dim could operate a relay to disable the occupancy sensor.
Think POSITIVE.
Test NEGATIVE.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
One theater I work with never powers down their board. I always suggest otherwise -more so fans don't plug with dust from being run constantly (like when they are building sets and dust is flying everywhere).
Not to mention guest LD's always wiping it and loading their own setups.

So harness the blinking DMX light idea, but it's never not blinking -even when B/O if the board is left on.

I might install this occupancy sensor system in there just to force them to power down their board more often!

Chris Pflieger

Do most arch controls / theatrical controls integration involve the console output running through the arch. controller?

Going forward, without a centralized dimming rack, I see this as the logical way of doing things, but is there any reservations from the theatrical side of things? Sort of, "I don't want a box that can fail in the middle of my DMX line!"

Just trying to get a little input before I go and design the next product.

Users who are viewing this thread