DMX Output Shifting

RGJones

Does anyone know if it is possible to shift the output of a DMX controller a set number of channels? In my situation I would like to use a small DMX controller (16 channels) to focus lights in our auditorium from the stage. Since the board only outputs 16 channels and we have almost 200 dimmers obviously that wouldn't help much as is.

So if there was a way where I could shift the output, basicly like adding a page function so it could control all of the dimmers. I have no idea if somthing like this is already exists or if its even possible. I was thinking somthing could possibly be made using a PIC chip or somthing similar but I don't know how to write code for those.

Anyways, I figured this would be the place to start looking for solutions/answers.

Rob

What kind of small dmx controller? Some allow you to patch the 12 channels to any of the first 96 or sometimes the full 512 dimmers.

A couple of options:
1) Softpatch your 200 dimmers into the 16 channels of your stage console, if the console has this ability, and almost all do.
2) I'm sure Fleenor (among others) has something that will shift the DMX, and may even allow paging or mutiple DMX mappings, but it will most certainly cost more than your 16 channel board.
3) Use a DMXter-type device. The problem with this is you will be focusing by dimmer, and not by channel, so you may only see a portion of a wash, for example.

See this post and the subsequent ones for some philosophical issues..

If you've got some money to spend, I would suggest one of the following:

1. This is a great tool and you can set it up as subs to focus whole systems at a time. Baxter Controls, The Pocket Console DMX(tm)

2. Drop a line over at Doug Fleenor Design and tell them what you are trying to do. They might have or be able to build something for you.

BEST BET:
3. What is the house console that you normally use to control all those dimmers? The manufacturer might already have a solution for you like an RFU (Remote Focus Unit). If it is one of the more popular consoles, you can likely find a used remote at a fair price.

Although not exactly what you are asking for: We solved our need for a focus remote with a DMX phone, and are very happy with it. Plus, if you damage the hand device itself (the cordless pone), you have a very cheap replacement available at thousands of stores.

~Dave

Digital Lighting Solutions Inc.

That's what I use my old Chauvet DMX-55 for! It has 8 controls, but you can page it through chns 1 to 192 using the A/B and Fixture buttons. Its a fast way to have access on the stage end if you are short on help. You could probably find one used for under $100.

That's what I use my old Chauvet DMX-55 for! It has 8 controls, but you can page it through chns 1 to 192 using the A/B and Fixture buttons. Its a fast way to have access on the stage end if you are short on help. You could probably find one used for under $100.

You can buy a brand new one (different label) for under $ 200.00

Personally I like both the DMX phone as well as the Chauvet DMX-55. Both seem to be reasonable options.

The main console in the space is a Strand 300, and although I know theres quite a few ways to go with that (as far as RFU's and such) I'm bascily using my own money. And while not the best idea, it works for me, thats why I was hoping to use my own controler. But a newer controler with more channels could be a good upgrade for me personally as well.

Also while the philosophical issues do come to mind, unfortunately that doesn't work in our auditorium. Mainly because I am the only one that knows how to really operate the light board to its fullest extent and the only one that will ever try to focus lights for shows (most of the time they just stay in one spot at one level). Now I really am not trying to be arrogent but this really is the way it is at my school. I just don't anyone to take that the wrong way.

Amyways, thanks for the help.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back