DMX pass thru

Please do include facility info or a pic. Are these pushbuttons that have a green indicator built into them? If so, it might be an ETC strip, and yes, could be a bad button. Do you have others that are working?

Let us know,

David

To give a little more information (I work in the same theatre) the Pass-Thru functionality is supposed to work as a temporary output, and if it isn't needed, you "Pass-Thru" it and it goes straight to the other output on the electric. The other output on the electric works only when you hold it down all the way from being engaged. Otherwise, the DMX disconnects. All of the electrics (4) exhibit this same behavior of only working when the button is held down. See the attached drawings for more info.

Attachments

• diagrams.pdf
    72 KB · Views: 224
The drawings have a 2008 date. I wouldn't think the buttons would wear out so soon but they may be past warranty.

Regardless, calling ETC tech support is your best bet, and you're over half way there with @DavidNorth on the line. Those drawings also have your job number, with that they will pull up virtually everything ever known about your system.

Give that a try. then you will know for sure if it is indeed the switch.

Another question- Is this happening on all of your DMX pass throughs, or just one?

Hmmmm. I wonder if its maybe a bad cable at the start of the chain. I have never been around ETC distribution with DMX on the electric. Most of them Im around are only circuits.

How many electrics do you have and how many pass through switches?

According to the drawings (interpreted by someone at ETC) the electrics SHOULDN'T be hooked together. The Pass Thru is only for that electric specifically. So I would find it characteristically odd that 5 independent cable runs back to our dimmer room (verified that they are independent lines) are all bad. Plus the light wouldn't work when the button was held down. -_-

So when the indicator is off, the button should be out and the DMX Out should be active with data. Then, to get DMX down the rest of the distro strip, you have to put DMX back into the Input. The concept is:

DMX Output ---> DMX device on pipe ---> DMX Input

Now, when the indicator is on, the button should be in and there is no data available on the DMX Out connector. This allows DMX to keep going down the strip without interruption.

This design was done in order to prevent DMX Ys on the output down a strip. So while it seems a little unusual, it serves a very good purpose. Each distro strip should be on its own separate optosplitter output. FYI, the indicator is mechanical in the switch and is not a light or LED.

So what you are saying is that you are only able to get DMX Out from the plate when the switch is pressed in and held, and you are not able to get DMX from the Out in either switch location?

I have this strange feeling that I've seen this before. IIRC, I think the wiring on the plates inside the strip is backwards. My guess is that if all the switches are in the Pass Thru [indicator visible] position, then DMX would be active on each of the DMX Input connectors. Do you have a 5-pin turnaround that you can use to check this? I'm about 95% sure this is the issue.

Let us know,

David

Ok, so the output on the other end of the connector strips doesn't work in EITHER position of the switch, but when you depress the switch all the way in from green (Pass-Thru ON), the DMX output on the end works as long as the button is held. From looking at the diagrams, the only thing that would make sense is if the output is in fact patched as the input and vice versa, and this button press shorts all three of these connectors (input, output, and the other output down the line) together and creates the signal on the third. @DavidNorth, is that what you were saying? And, is this something we can fix ourselves if that is the issue by placing a patch cable between the two lines and testing the third?

Thanks for all your help. We have had this problem for about 6 months and we finally have about a week of dark or one day shows so we can try and fix this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back