DMX problems

hoffmana1

Hello, recently one of our flat par leds stopped responding to dmx, its the first in the line of a daisy chain and all the fixtures behind it still work fine, it also functions in other modes(sound) none of the settings were changed on the board but the light just stopped working.

Any advice or suggestions is welocme.

Some guessing, given the lack of specifics about the PAR, the console, or anything else to do with the DMX data path.
  1. Did the fixture's address change? Is it still patched in the console? Did it's mode change in some way that would disable responding to DMX.
  2. If you set another fixture to the same address as the one that doesn't work, does that fixture work? If yes, then the fixture has a problem, if no then the console patch has probably changed.
  3. Does the fixture that doesn't work start working if you change it's address to match one of the working fixtures? If yes, then the fixture is fine and the console patch has probably changed. If no, then the fixture has a problem, either with the operating mode or with the DMX signal processing.

Having dealt with very similar issue, because it's easy, check the power to the fixture. (If that is what you meant by "it also functions in other modes(sound)" my apologies.) In my case, it passed DMX fine, but the power wiring (inside the fixture) was damaged.

the console is a etc ion, the par is a American DJ tri par(i know they are not great but they were given to us). the address is the same as before and we also tried changing the address and re patching it on the board, we tried addressing it to the same as another light but it still didn't work. We have concluded that its the fixture i just wanted to see if anyone could think of any other possibilities.

we just finished pulling it apart and checking all its connections and upon trying again it still didn't work.

If you're comfortable taking it apart then swap around components one at a time with a known working one unit testing both in between. Once the problem changes you'll have a pretty good idea which part you need to replace.

I read "flat par" and inferred cheap Chinese light or low-level brand name.*
If it works in other modes, and it passes DMX, then the receiver is toast.

Combining the two, the best solution is to replace it; it's not like the old days when those parts were socketed DIP ICs.

EDIT: I see where you state it's ADJ.

Something I always like to do is try testing the fixture with a very simple DMX output device. Something that is just a tester/slider box to take all other parts in the DMX chain that could be causing problems out of the picture.

Also with the DMX I/O board they are usually hardwired from the in to the out. I am not sure how this fixture is made but if it has a separate board for DMX and then one for the rest of the operation it could be that connection went bad. That would also explain why fixtures past it still work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back