Control/Dimming DMX sans controller?

Cypherson

Used to play with show lights a lot more, but have been out of the scene for quite some time... so some thing are rusty. Forgive me if I'm being a total newb here...

Using a Geni SV-250R scanner, no DMX board (kind of a start up job, not money rich yet), wondering if there's a way to run just a random pattern scan until we have a controller in. The DIP 4 (or 3...) auto scan is just so bloody slow. Failing that, is there a random generator controller available, or perhaps a stupidly cheap controller I could grab out of pocket to make my life easier?

Thanks much, great boards!

Go for the Chamsys MagicQ PC with an EntTech USB donegal. $125 total.

Mike

You can pick up the Open DMX USB for about 60 USD according to enttec's site. And I thought MagicQ was free?
Aside from magicQ the enttec unit will work with other software controllers as well.
You might like freestyler better
Freestyler website

MagicQ is free for the PC version. There are some limits on it, but I doubt you will notice them.

Also, it is VERY recommended that you get the DMX pro unit from enntec and not the 60 dollar dongle. The 60 dollar version will work, but it has a pretty bad transceiver in it without a true buffer and does not put out true DMX512 according to the stander. The "pro" interface however does output true DMX. Search the archives, you will see all kinds of problems people had using the 60 dollar interface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back