Design DMX Servo

What I would love you to help me out with is how to control my motors. I am using traxxas 2075 high torque waterproof servos to control each of the Swingers. I have found this control board to help me control the servo with DMX. Please look at the control board here: DMX512 to RC servo controller. What I need help with is how to use the board. The company does not reply to their emails often and the instructions are difficult for an inexperienced person like me to understand. Basically what I would love to know is, how can I supply power to the board( what cables should I use, how should I get the power, how should I rig up the cables to the board, do I need a transformer for the current etc) and how can I hook up a dmx cable/ xlr cable to the board and have it daisy chain to other fixtures. The company mentioned something about connectors for the DMX cables.What are those and how would I hook them up to the board?
If you know how to do this, have tips or suggestions or know any other more simple method, please tell me!

Looking at the manual, connect the XLR connector (or a male and female in parallel if you want to be able to daisy chain) to the terminals labeled "DMX IN 1 2 3", wiring pin 1 on the connectors to terminal 1, etc. Look at the picture on page 11 of the manual. If you are using 3-pin XLR connectors, follow the same diagram but ignore pins 4 and 5.

As for power, you need two sources. Both of these must be DC (not a simple transformer). Connect a wall wart rated between 7.5 and 12v DC to the terminals labeled "Board Power" with correct polarity. This wall wart should be rated at least 60mA; a higher rating here is OK.

Connect your servo power supply to the terminal labelled "Servo power" with the correct polarity. This should be a regulated 5V or 6V DC supply; I am not sure how much current the servos will draw, but they may pull upwards of an amp apiece so you will need a supply with a suitable current rating. Use a wire with sufficient thickness for this; I would use 18AWG or thicker.

/mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back