DMX Termination For Dummies

For those who just want to buy one that's been done right you should be able to get one for $20-$25 at a theater dealer (Yes that is about three times the price of doing it yourself). Doug Fleenor makes one that has a LED that shows you are getting good DMX signal, and spike suppression built in for about $50... that could be really hand to have at the long end of a run (see your dealer for pricing).

As for learning what this DMX thing is all about and why you need termination. The book "Practicle DMX" will be the best $30 you've ever spent.

For those who just want to buy one that's been done right you should be able to get one for $20-$25 at a theater dealer (Yes that is about three times the price of doing it yourself). Doug Fleenor makes one that has a LED that shows you are getting good DMX signal, and spike suppression built in for about $50... that could be really hand to have at the long end of a run (see your dealer for pricing).
As for learning what this DMX thing is all about and why you need termination. The book "Practicle DMX" will be the best $30 you've ever spent.

You can pick up a hosa terminator for about $6. It is well built and has a 120ohm resistor. Most anything from a "theatre dealer" is more expensive.

http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl~eqint_KeyIDdata~40711~UID~2007052512471266~newproduct~T

No you must put them in series, what ever order you want but they would have to be in series, not parallel. if you measured a 120ohm resistor with a meter, and it showed 18.9 ohms then the resistor is fried or your meter is. a 120 ohm resistor should read 120. a 100,10,10 in series will read 120. you have to scroll up a couple of posts and do the math to see what a 100 and two 10's in parallel will get you.

Sorry, I meant series... my hands typed the wrong thing. They are all in series... now i just need some space on my workbench... maybe I'll do it in my room...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back