DMX to video?

I have access to a handful of old Versa TUBEs that were recently donated to my school. The brain only takes DVI in but I was wondering if there is a piece of software I could use to convert DMX data to RGB video data for each pixel. I use Chamsys so I have plenty of addresses available and it would allow me to run the same effects across the versa TUBEs as I do DMX linear fixtures as well as using ArKaos' pixel mapper to send Art-Net and use the console to switch between the two.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

It sounds like you already have everything that you need.
You say that you're already using Arkaos? Media Master (Express or Pro) will translate the video to DMX, and spit it out via ArtNet. You just need to map the position of the Tubes in the patch window.
You can use the Chamsys console to trigger the Arkaos via DMX, if you have a USB/DMX device (like an Enttec).

It sounds like you already have everything that you need.
You say that you're already using Arkaos? Media Master (Express or Pro) will translate the video to DMX, and spit it out via ArtNet. You just need to map the position of the Tubes in the patch window.
You can use the Chamsys console to trigger the Arkaos via DMX, if you have a USB/DMX device (like an Enttec).
I was looking to do the opposite, I want to run simple chases that Chamsys' effects engine generates on them.

Ah... maybe I should wait until after coffee before I respond...
So you are looking for a DMX --> DVI device.
I have not seen such an animal.

sorry,
-Ford

Out of curiosity... what do you get when you plug the controller into a video source?
Does it scale the source for you?
If so, then (and this is pretty sketchy), could you run your Pixels in your Chamsys visualizer, sent to an external monitor (the driver for the Versatubes)?

Out of curiosity... what do you get when you plug the controller into a video source?
Does it scale the source for you?
If so, then (and this is pretty sketchy), could you run your Pixels in your Chamsys visualizer, sent to an external monitor (the driver for the Versatubes)?
It accepts DVI as usual they will display whatever video you send to them, however, the limitation of using the visualizer is that it is impossible to get 1:1 pixel accuracy. It should work in theory though.

On a different note, congrats on the acquisition of ChamSys, not sure what this will mean for the future of their consoles.

It accepts DVI as usual they will display whatever video you send to them, however, the limitation of using the visualizer is that it is impossible to get 1:1 pixel accuracy. It should work in theory though.

On a different note, congrats on the acquisition of ChamSys, not sure what this will mean for the future of their consoles.

I think it means you are going to start seeing a lot more Chamsys desks in the US.

While Chamsys is wholly owned by Chauvet, they said in the announcement that it would continue to operate as they have been, including sales and distribution in Europe. Chauvet will handle distribution and support in the US. I doubt that new ownership will have any effect on how long hardware is supported. I doubt anyone would think about "locking" DMX output licensing, when other companies like Martin, and Even MA are unlocking free outputs to encourage new customers to try their products.

Thanks!
They are a bunch of passionate, smart people, and I'm glad to be associated with them.

Mike is correct that they are remaining independent. We are taking care of North American distribution (formally handled by Chamsys USA), but Phil Watson (who was the heart of Chamsys USA) has come on board at Chauvet to head up the Console Sales and support, and I would keep your eyes peeled for new opportunities for Sales Support positions... so existing Chamsys customers should see no difference in support, and existing Chauvet customer's should look forward to expanded access to a great product line.

I have access to a handful of old Versa TUBEs that were recently donated to my school. The brain only takes DVI in but I was wondering if there is a piece of software I could use to convert DMX data to RGB video data for each pixel. I use Chamsys so I have plenty of addresses available and it would allow me to run the same effects across the versa TUBEs as I do DMX linear fixtures as well as using ArKaos' pixel mapper to send Art-Net and use the console to switch between the two.

About eight years ago or so, a guy at PRG wrote exactly what you're looking for. It's called the "FUEL" system, and it lets you address your versatube pixels as RGB DMX cells - pretty sure there was some flexibility in patching, as well.

No idea whatever happened to it. I haven't seen versatubes on a show in quite some time. if you've got a PRG contact, see what they can dig up.

About eight years ago or so, a guy at PRG wrote exactly what you're looking for. It's called the "FUEL" system, and it lets you address your versatube pixels as RGB DMX cells - pretty sure there was some flexibility in patching, as well.

No idea whatever happened to it. I haven't seen versatubes on a show in quite some time. if you've got a PRG contact, see what they can dig up.
That is very interesting. The versa tubes were donated by PRG, I will talk to the person who handled the donation.

It's interesting that you ask this, cause I've had, running through my head for a while now, the idea of building an ArtNet->VGA converter out of a Raspberry Pi. Used LCD displays -- of a number of sizes -- are essentially gifts now, and some of them are ridiculously bright...

Hi there just wondering if anything ever came of this I'm going down the same track at the moment...

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back