DMX video blackout generator for SDI

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Some clarification, are you just trying to do video black or are you looking for a device which will block the light entirely? You might find this douser by City Theatrical to be what you need.

I have not myself run across an SDI-passthrough box that would dim out the video by DMX control -- and it's the sort of thing I'd notice, and seems like it'd be useful -- but I think you'll find that putting a DMX dowser in front of the camera will be the closest you'll get.

I know you are asking for an SDI device, but I ran across the composite video DMX switcher below that someone might find useful.
Connecting a video black generator to one of the inputs would do what you want, but not SDI of course.
www.bpesolutions.com

Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 11.06.02 AM.png

I have searched for a long time to find a device to do this and finally found this unit which is seemingly the only one on the market.

I have searched for a long time to find a device to do this and finally found this unit which is seemingly the only one on the market.

Be darned. Those are the same people who make the InSight Dante monitoring software for your A2's laptop.

I am looking to do video black.
I have found that even with video black the monitors still put out a ton of light. Older plasma or new oled can go almost full black if adjusted, But backlit LCD's are awful. I've used ND gel over them to increase the black contrast but you may have to brighten up the camera image a bit to make them look usable, but fade to black is much darker.
I know Crestron controllers can talk DMX and have worked installations where architectural lighting, LED mapping and video all work in unison so in theory with the right programming you could just switch the feed to a black source upon a dmx trigger.
Simplest case an external dmx relay could just trigger one of the contact-closure inputs -and that method would work with many other brands of control processors.

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back