DMX worklight

BillConnerFASTC

I sure wish someone would manufacture a work light with DMX control and through. I just specified 8 of the Osram Kreios FLx each with a ColorSource wired relay but wish that relay could be all built into the fixture. SIze it accordingly to the LED and use whatever can most cost effectively switch it on and off, DMX in and through. I'd be happy with an ordinary fixed power cord but powercon in and out also OK. Just much simpler and less expensive than dedicated circuits and remote relays.

Maybe the vendor can come up with a neat marriage of the ColorSource device and Kreios light for now.

Interesting request.

When we installed 21 Kreios fixtures in a new facility, the architect stated we *had" to have them hard wired into the electrical system, I.E. into a 4" octagon box powered off an Echo system. We could not, and they would not install them with connectors or c-clamps, which is how the fixture is intended and designed to be used. They are the only room lights and I can only assume they were following NYC electrical code requirement for lighting in a room to be hard wired to a switch.

It is listed to UL 1598 Luminaires, and not UL 1573 Standard for Stage and Studio Luminaires and Connector Strips, so hard wiring is OK. Illumination is required (notmuch) and if the only source of light, I can see that reasoning (without agreeing) but they could still be DMX controlled, like house lights today. (Ignoring the emergency and direct controlled luminaire issues.)

But I have plenty of permanently installed and switched lighting in the facility, just want some available for mounting on the electrics. I suppose if I looked long enough I could find a "white" light only studio fixture that could be used as work light - but the spread on the FLx90s is really nice and at $600 or so for the fixture and ColorSource relay, hard to beat now.

PS - the instructions do say NOT intended for emergency lighting.

I’m sure Doug could come up with some sort of converter but that would require you to crack each one open to juice the dmx card and dimmer which would prolly void the warranty.

It sounds like what you need to doBill is get on the horn with someone in China and have them fab you one up to your specs then give that design to a reputable manufacturer and see what they can do with it.

I can only think why anyone hasn't made a dmx work light is because a majority is being installed into already controlled power that can be manipulated from the source. Or a new build that is already going to get some sort of work/house light control system so the wire for it is already going to get ran.

Would it need to dim? Seems like there would totally be a market for a relayed non-dim, non color accurate LED worklight.
Especially as buildings are converting or being built all LED, there should still be the same argument that practical and stage lights are only for show time, use the works for everyday.

Have you looked at the light source utility light. You do not need to turn power to it off when you are not asking it to produce light it is designed to stay powered up, it has a 10 year warranty that covers being powered on.

Too bad they didn't make that one box. I suspect heat is the issue but it's a really odd shape fixture and one I could not find space on an electric.

I actually have these right now... but they were made by L&E. We were going to use them as houselights but the dimming curve sucked. We have had 5 of them onstage as works for years and they work great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back