Control/Dimming dmxPHONE

Starr T.

Does anyone remember the 'old' dmxPHONE unit that connected to your lighting console & a cordless phone, giving you a focus remote you could take onstage or to catwalks?

Why can we not have something that simple now; without $800 interfaces?
*t

Two things...
1.) The ETC Cobalt does have a phone remote interface. I haven't used the phone remote on Congo/Cobalt since the iRFR was released.
2.) Most major console manufacturers have an iOS and/or Android app to use WiFi to interface with the console. So for the cost of a wireless router, a tablet, and possibly a charge for the app, you can have a remote. To date, I have used repurposed routers and existing smartphones and tablets for console remotes so that my total cost has been $50 for the iRFR app. Way less than $800 and miles more useful than a cordless phone.
Oh, the $50 fee that ETC charges is donated to the charity Behind the Scenes.

Two things...
1.) The ETC Cobalt does have a phone remote interface. I haven't used the phone remote on Congo/Cobalt since the iRFR was released.
2.) Most major console manufacturers have an iOS and/or Android app to use WiFi to interface with the console. So for the cost of a wireless router, a tablet, and possibly a charge for the app, you can have a remote. To date, I have used repurposed routers and existing smartphones and tablets for console remotes so that my total cost has been $50 for the iRFR app. Way less than $800 and miles more useful than a cordless phone.
Oh, the $50 fee that ETC charges is donated to the charity Behind the Scenes.
Thanks a bunch, I'll get with IT here & see what they have.
*t

2.) Most major console manufacturers have an iOS and/or Android app to use WiFi to interface with the console. So for the cost of a wireless router, a tablet, and possibly a charge for the app, you can have a remote.

Correction: ETC has an Android App. Strand built an iOS app but refuses to invest the money on an Android app. This drives me crazy because Android passed iOS in total users 3 or 4 years ago and there are now more than double the number of Android users in the world. There is a rather rough app built by a Strand user, but it's not nearly as functional and nice as their official iOS app.

Does anyone remember the 'old' dmxPHONE unit that connected to your lighting console & a cordless phone, giving you a focus remote you could take onstage or to catwalks?

Why can we not have something that simple now; without $800 interfaces?
*t
Hmmm, I bet I could find my DMXPhone gathering dust somewhere. I'll look when I'm at the box tomorrow.

DMXphone requires a DMX merger, or replugging the DMX cable. FocusPhone actually emulated the wired RFU for popular consoles.

Hi Starr: Phil with ChamSys USA here. We talked about the MagicQ and MagicDMX yesterday. Just to reiterate - our MagicDMX products do not allow use of our remote apps, so it is not going to do what you are looking for. All of our other gear above the MagicDMX will do it.

The reason they are presented as a technician test device is is:

1. You can out the software in technician test mode to quickly select a single moving light (say one set up on a bench test) and have a simple show created automatically to test all the features of that instrument. You also have access to every parameter via simple on screen faders. A lot of techs have one of our basic MagicDMX units in their tool box for just this reason.

2. The MagicDMX full version can be used for DMX input as well - so works to test control systems.

I hope that helps.

PS: Thanks to Derekleffew above who reminded me about how the FocusPhone worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back