Do I really need all this IP65 junk?

hvolmer

We have purchased several IP65 rated fixtures (Chauvet Colorados and the like) mainly because the price was right. I'm sure some of you have experienced the horrors that are the IP65-rated connectors/adapter cables, especially when the gear has just come off of a cold truck. Is there any reason that we don't just snip all that garbage off and put on normal XLR and Edison plugs?

We have yet to hold a show in a torrential downpour, or where the crew is trying to clear us off stage with a fire hose. My partner in all this is worried about outdoor shows, but most (if not all) the gear that is used on a typical outdoor show is no more than IP20. Seems like: if the gear is a little wet, it's probably in need of a good wiping down anyway!

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh I was a sage hand for Harvard Universities 375th anniversary completely outdoor event in
Harvard Yard. Had Yo Yo Ma and the Harvard Orchestra, thousands of people out doors. Something like 40 of those Colorados on the trees and another 15-20 intelligent lights.

Let's just say monsune rains are an understatement for that event. They paused the event mid show and had to have people evacuate into the buildings. But those Harvard kids are troupers they partied hard all through the event an KILLED the lawn.

I do wonder if ALPS had any broken gear. I'll upload some videos next week. But just because you haven't yet had issues with rain doesn't mean you want. Your soaking wet stagehands standing in puddles waiting to move the gear will thank you.

I own 70+ Chauvet Colorado units, all of which came IP 65 rated from the factory. Once they passed warranty, we gutted the stock connectors & installed a back plate with edison out & XLR in & out. We caulked around all connections. The previous generation models have had issues with weather. I've replaced or repaired about 22 units in four years. It wasn't until the C3P's were introduced that we felt comfortable leaving the fixtures out in any weather. One thing I can assure you from using IP20-range fixtures outside: even a little dew on the grass can cause boards to overheat. If you do a lot outside, go IP65 or 66 for good measure.

If you do a lot outside, go IP65 or 66 for good measure.

What sort of "outside" are we talking about here? We're in Colorado, where it rarely rains and the rain rarely lasts. Any show we would be doing outside would be under shelter so wind-blown rain would be the only concern. I don't expect to use them outside of a shelter.

I don't get the impression that changing the connectors out would adversely affect them. The fixtures would still be IP65 but the connectors wouldn't be. Worst case: wrap up the connections. The cables that come out of these things are the worst Chinese tool-grade cables that are stiff and never soften.

If you cut the connectors off you are likely invalidating the warranty - as well as the UL or ETL listing on the fixtures. Not usually a big deal, but if you do happen to have something go wrong and someone gets hurt, it could mean the end to a great many things.... most importantly to you - your earning potential in the future....

If you cut the connectors off you are likely invalidating the warranty - as well as the UL or ETL listing on the fixtures. Not usually a big deal, but if you do happen to have something go wrong and someone gets hurt, it could mean the end to a great many things.... most importantly to you - your earning potential in the future....

Amen. Once the product has been altered from the factory configuration, all bets are off if/when something unexpected happens. With a number of lawsuits (many related to weather incidents) within our industry at the moment, I would have a look at other IP20 fixtures that may satisfy your needs.

Sorry to sound like the nagging neighbor with the barking dog next door, but I would highly recommend not altering an IP65 product.

You're going to eventually have an edison and xlr anyway, chop the cable and modify if you want. My 4 bar ip65 par leds are prewires with a male and female edison and a male and female xlr right on the bar. The first time I used them (and several times since) they were poured on. No big deal.

My ip65 bricks arrived with no xlr adapters. I had no way of getting dmx in or out. I needed them the next day so I snipped and rewired with xlr. They're now about to be installed outside of a restaurant in the weather. I plan on heat shrinking the connections and I have confidence they'll be just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back