Do Wysiwyg and Vectorworks play?

MrsFooter

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
Anyone running a current version of wysiwyg have any issues with your dwgs being imported into Vectorworks?

I'm trying out the demo version of wyg to see if it's a better fit for me (Vectorworks and I have never gotten along,) and I want to make sure that I'll still be able to trade drawings with my coworkers/road co designers still using Vectorworks. My experience with importing dwgs into vectorworks in the past has been hit or miss, depending on the software of origin...

I haven't done any recent imports from wysiwyg, but if you send me a demo file I'll give it a shot.

My vague memory is that they work better from there, than say, AutoCAD, but it still requires a fair amount of work to make a useable plot.

My general rule is that if I'm running any rigging calculations, I'm going to have to rebuild the plot if it comes from anything other than vectorworks, and even then sometimes I still need to.

I haven't done any recent imports from wysiwyg, but if you send me a demo file I'll give it a shot.

My vague memory is that they work better from there, than say, AutoCAD, but it still requires a fair amount of work to make a useable plot.

My general rule is that if I'm running any rigging calculations, I'm going to have to rebuild the plot if it comes from anything other than vectorworks, and even then sometimes I still need to.
Unfortunately, part of the deal with the wyg demo is that they won't let you save, print, or export. :rolleyes: I reeeeeeeeeally want this to work, but I'm fearing that I may be resigned to a life of resentful partnership with vectorworks.

For all the time and effort trying to find a way to get WYG to send/talk to VW, I would just watch VW tutorials till you get better at it. I know, I know, I was in the same boat for a bit, having been given a free WYSIWG with ETC software, I learned it, liked it and then discovered it had no print capability, so ended up spending 20 hrs. a week for 6 straight weeks learning VW. As it interfaced with both LW (long time user) as well as EOS off line, it was time well spent, especially as EVERYBODY uses VW.

For all the time and effort trying to find a way to get WYG to send/talk to VW, I would just watch VW tutorials till you get better at it. I know, I know, I was in the same boat for a bit, having been given a free WYSIWG with ETC software, I learned it, liked it and then discovered it had no print capability, so ended up spending 20 hrs. a week for 6 straight weeks learning VW. As it interfaced with both LW (long time user) as well as EOS off line, it was time well spent, especially as EVERYBODY uses VW.
Been down that road, thanks, not really interested in being forced into a workflow that doesn't work for me just bc "everyone" is doing it. All my love, Steve, long-time fan and admirer and I mean zero disrespect, but I have a crater-sized chip on my shoulder against the idea that one way of creating plots is more "legitimate" than another, and if I don't do it using the exact same (excessively overpriced) software as everyone else, then it's a me-problem. Even my scribbled notebook paper plots (for when I legit do. not. have. time. to draft) get hung and create art same as my elegant vwx plots.

I'd really like to see if there's something out there that's a better fit for me, and I think wyg might be it. At this moment, I'd like to know if anyone who is running a current version of wyg has any experience with sharing their drawings with vectorworks users. That's my question.

Oh, I understand. I really, really was happy learning WYG, it was a great program, I got trapped discovering no print function, and as I already had a long history with LW, it became easier to go with VW, especially when so many company's were sending VW documents. So even though I disliked VW in many ways, I had to go that route.

I do know that WYG used Autocad as a basis, I think it might have exported .dxf or .dwf or something (haven't opened VW in a year, memory is fuzzy), VW will import A-Cad files, so maybe explore that method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back