Do you know what a Martingale is?

Do you know what a Martingale is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
Do you know what a Martingale (Category: Lighting) is? Again, if you know, please wait until the poll closes to answer.

It's a game show host, right? Seriously, no idea.

Since Martingale is a dog collar company, I'm gonna guess that it is a saftey cable of some sort.

I thought it was an item of clothing but anything is possible.

ship, SteveB, JD, BillESC: you can play too. I'm sure at least one of you know this.

I DID NOT make it up. Extra points for describing the history of the term, which I don't know.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the answer is either truss, chain motors or the whole kit and kaboodle.

A nautical martingale comprises the parts of standing rigging which strengthen the bowsprit and jib boom against the force of the head stays.

I am going to go with a betting system trying to double your intensity every cue . Knowing that winning one cue will get you back all the light you lost....I've got nothing...

It has ties back to sailing

"A nautical martingale comprises the parts of standing rigging which strengthen the bowsprit and jib boom against the force of the head stays." (wikipedia)

As far as the lighting aspect goes, I am going to say that it is used to support trussing used as a side arm. to keep the truss from swaying.

How long do we have to wait for an answer Derek?

Just long enough to completely lose interest. Nice! ;)

Hehehe........ Sailing can teach you a lot. As can Lighting. I know it but i'm not telling.
;)

I used to know a traveling salesman whose name was Martingale.
Wait I know, it's a bird !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back