Do you need a degree from a theatre program to be a concert LD/technician?

I have a degree in theater. And I wouldn't have it any other way. While going to school I was an over hire for the local IATSE, designed 2 shows a semester for the department (all conventional fixtures), worked in the theater as a lab assistant (hanging other peoples shows, painting scenery, even sewing costumes all for 4.35 an hour!), had a job as a tech in the student union doing multi cultural shows and school functions (yeah belly dancers!), worked in the local non union theaters running spot and hanging fixtures (Nutcracker for the 134 time anyone?). During the summers I was a lighting technician at a summer repertory theater. When I finished school I took a job on the road as a lighting tech (conventional & moving light). I moved up the ladder until I was the lighting Director of the show(It took 5 years..which was pretty fast in this line of work), then I got a job in Vegas. I have worked at three major shows here in town, and I am working on a new one with 200+ moving lights.

Education is not a bad thing. Knowing why we do what we do, the basics of lighting is great. If you have to sit through theater history just to figure it out, think of all the guys on the bus you might impress when you whip out why arenas are the shape they are or why you are storing the boxes in the under the seats, out of the line of fire, next to the vomitoriums. It is a spring board. If you took your art history...it is easier to explain to a director, or even the talent that the color of your shows was based upon a painting of Dali's, than the color of the seats on the tour bus (even if it is true). If you have the love for this business and believe me you need to love it to survive, you will do anything and everything available, take every opportunity. Not everyone is going to end up a designer. I found my niche in the wonderful world of lighting, I am sure you will find yours. Just be prepared to work your ass off and don't think that since you have done some stuff you are going to walk into a great job. I pulled enough 4/0 through elephant s*@& to know. Believe me.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back