Do you own your own COM headset?

soundman

No, I will get issued one for the duration of the tour/project and return it after the last show. I will request David Clarks for a R&R show and for corperate/one off stuff I've been happy with what ever has been provided.

TimMc

Premium Member
I have 2 - single muff Beyer and double muff Beyer. Both have A4F Switchcraft connectors. I carry a couple of 4-5 pin adapters.

Jay Ashworth

The CC-26's are what we got with our FreeSpeakII buy a few years back; they're holding up well.

Note, you fans, that CC's own website calls that model a Last Time Buy now:

MRW Lights

The CC-26's are what we got with our FreeSpeakII buy a few years back; they're holding up well.

Note, you fans, that CC's own website calls that model a Last Time Buy now:

I mean seeing as I've had mine for 20 years... I'm not overly concerned. Hopefully I'm retired before I need another one 😅

AlexDavila

I’ve got my trusty PH88 with me wherever I go. I prefer the vinyl/leatherette earcup to the foam on the CC26. I bought it with a 5-pin male on eBay and soldered a 4-pin F on it with a red boot so I could always easily identify it.

DaveySimps

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
I have had the same PH88 for 20 years or so. I replaced the ear pad twice. 4 pin XLR connector. It is still like new. I second the leatherette earcup. It is easier on the ear for long nights than the simple foam one.

~Dave

firewater88

I've been using a CC26 4 pin for the past 15 years or so. Should upgrade to the leatherette earcup.
I have ventured into the wireless headset realm. I have a JK Audio Blueset on my com pack and have gone with a bone conduction headset Shokz Opencomm. I find it works really well, keeps my ears open if I need to hear the mix or if someone comes and talks to me or if I need to jump on the fly rail quick (tangle-free). I use it both on a wired CC pack and a wireless Telex BTR300 pack, so then I'm truly wireless. Although that system is aging rapidly... hoping to put in for a free speak system upgrade soon.

Jay Ashworth

Huh. I have a BlueSet, but I'm pretty sure it's the 3-pin audio version. I didn't realize they had those for COM.

Jay Ashworth

I've been using a CC26 4 pin for the past 15 years or so. Should upgrade to the leatherette earcup.
I have ventured into the wireless headset realm. I have a JK Audio Blueset on my com pack and have gone with a bone conduction headset Shokz Opencomm. I find it works really well, keeps my ears open if I need to hear the mix or if someone comes and talks to me or if I need to jump on the fly rail quick (tangle-free). I use it both on a wired CC pack and a wireless Telex BTR300 pack, so then I'm truly wireless. Although that system is aging rapidly... hoping to put in for a free speak system upgrade soon.
I have just gotten an OpenComm myself, and I concur with your appraisal.

I also located my BlueDriver, so I know it's an F3. What model do you have that is 1) bidirectional and 2) A4F?

And did you ever get the FSII upgrade? It's *marvelous*.

Jay Ashworth

I have had the same PH88 for 20 years or so. I replaced the ear pad twice. 4 pin XLR connector. It is still like new. I second the leatherette earcup. It is easier on the ear for long nights than the simple foam one.

~Dave
Thanks for saying that. Mine's been dying, and I'd bought 2, and needed to install the replacement, which I've just now dug out of a drawer so I can. :)

firewater88

I have just gotten an OpenComm myself, and I concur with your appraisal.

I also located my BlueDriver, so I know it's an F3. What model do you have that is 1) bidirectional and 2) A4F?

And did you ever get the FSII upgrade? It's *marvelous*.
Mines a BlueSet F4, female 4 pin. Pretty sure its bidirectional and not sure of A4F.
Looked on their website and looks like I have the version listed there.

Pushed the FSii upgrade, but need it soonish rather than later. School building budgets are horrendous, but we will be going for a bond soon and they will include me this time. The building is coming up on 20 years old and has a lot of original equipment.
20220917_105324.jpg

Jay Ashworth

Mines a BlueSet F4, female 4 pin. Pretty sure its bidirectional and not sure of A4F.
Looked on their website and looks like I have the version listed there.

Pushed the FSii upgrade, but need it soonish rather than later. School building budgets are horrendous, but we will be going for a bond soon and they will include me this time. The building is coming up on 20 years old and has a lot of original equipment.
Yeah; everyone's saying Out Of Stock for new, and I can't find a single item on eBay; apparently the few people complaining about sidetone delay were overstating the case?

Good luck on the wireless. And it's a bit more money, but don't skimp on the beltpack count. :)

We, admittedly, have only used all 5 of ours like twice in 5 years, but we use 4 of them *a lot*.

And yeah, "A4F" and "A5M" are the Cannon designators for the most common Com XLR plugs.

firewater88

Yeah, I have been looking at 10 beltpacks. We used to have 9 here and some of died between the 2 systems. Down to maybe 3 or 4. Heck, those VHF systems are about 25 years old. I could see a good use for 8-10 for our larger productions.

Markertek Blueset shows they are in stock...

steine

Sadly the mic arm retired resently on my old BD DT109, only had it since 1989.
By luck a friend of mine had a 109 he did not need due to hearing-loss, just got that and is testing if it works fine or if I should move the mic arm to my old one. :)

As a spare, I use an ASL HS-1 or a HS-2 depending on the show.
(we have 8 channels of RadioCom BTR-800)

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
I almost bought one. glad I didn’t, as it would just be gathering dust. Save for one show run, I haven’t worn a headset in almost a decade.

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
No headset? Are you now a set painter or a seamstress??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Absolute shop rat. Scenic and props carpentry has been my mainline. When I do need to communicate, its done through a cell phone, or a radio. I don't wait around on standby much anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread