Do you use a Hang Tape?

Do you usually hang plots with the aid of a Hang Tape?

• Total voters
I'm looking for a way to print my hang tape directly onto the receipt tape. It seems like it would be simple enough to do; make a 2" by 60' Vectorworks drawing, and place text where I want the light. Will a receipt printer be able to print this?

I'm looking for a way to print my hang tape directly onto the receipt tape. It seems like it would be simple enough to do; make a 2" by 60' Vectorworks drawing, and place text where I want the light. Will a receipt printer be able to print this?

WYSIWYG does this if you have the right printer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

When we fly in an electric, we quickly stretch out two tape measures (from center going each direction) and mark out locations in chalk. Usually we attempt to use a few different colors of chalk to represent different types of instruments. Then we just go down the pipe hanging on the chalk lines, while someone with the plot is calling out the color/template/circuit info. It works pretty well for the not-so-large plots that we have.

Chalk is great for temporary marks. no other mark goes away with the swish of a damp rag. Love it. I have a scenic painter who does much of her work with colored chalk.

Last edited:

The method others have described is to use Lightwright to export a data file into Excell, then port over to MS Word and print on Avery labels. The labels are then pasted onto webbing, police caution tape, drywall tape, your choice. I suspect the Instrument data export in VW would do the same thing and you can choose which data to export - I.E., you probably don't need purpose, possibly not the channel (your choice, I don't), etc...

Others have described using FileMake Pro, but like you I have no need to purchase and learn another piece of software. Thus I simply use VW to cut and past the positions to a dedicated drawing that functions as a Hang Card.

We just did a thread on all this, where I posted copies of my VW drawings. http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/27702-hang-cards.html

Rather than export data, you can create a lightwright instrument schedule layout easily by changing the font to a larger size and spending a bit of time to arrange it. Do a "save layout as" then Print it direct from Lightwright. Then you can cut up the scheduled into in unit strips to be attached to the proper hang tape with scotchtape.
the advantage is you do not have to do the export/import / disadvantage is you loose the convenience of self-adhesive labels and print format and options are limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back