Done anything fun lately?

I LOVE THIS QUESTION!

All I'm at liberty to say is:

Pirates.
Guns.
Stunts.
Climbing the rigging of a 3-masted windjammer.
Cannon x2!
Flying a boy who won't grow up.

While moving.

Twice nightly.

Oh, and that's just the stuff that I do. My partner has a whole 'nother bunch of stuff he/she has to do while I'm doing my thing.

In the summer, I go 'hang out' with a blonde girl at 150 feet.

Lately it's been all set up and tear down of 120K Rock/Country show w/ some ACLs, Moles, Lekos, etc. But on Thursday, The Temptations came thru and let me do the design and run the show.. (they're taking names for their 45th Anniversary tour planned for next year btw..) So, that was a lot of fun for me since lately I haven't gotten to run any shows.. Looked decent, but wasn't too thrilled because I didn't have my spots color matched well with my washes.. so the guy singing solo ended up looking like he was wearing a gray suit compared to the guys singing back up looking like they're wearing a nice golden tan/brown suit.. embarassing really..

Well, I finally decided to submit my design to the Region 1 KCACTF and I'm pretty excited. The other good news is I also got awarded an Tech Theatre Internship at the festival. One of 16 people who got awarded the internship. Basically we are going to be loading in/out all the equipment and doing all the focusing as well as possibly some of the running duties. I'm so excited, it's going to be a ton of fun!

Wow, your region provides a focus crew? I had to provide my own when our show went to the Region 4 festival. That meant that we had to also pay for two other people to come with us that weren't involved with the show originally.

Yea, I'm not exactly sure what the Internship entails because they haven't given us the full details but it seems that we will be in charge of loading in and out as well as focusing and doing something for the actual shows...what that is I don't know but the TD said that each of us would be working 2 shows.

Switched gears this past weekend. As opposed to finishing the re-wire on old fixtures, I got asked to "your a designer type aren't you, will you help to decorate the front office Christmass tree some"? In the past few years I have taken a point of ... Front office Christmas Tree, and the funny looks I get when working for a living and dressing the part, this even when I had that front office type desk - screw you. Where is our tree in most of us not persay getting allowed up to the front office with me an exception more than a norm these days.

This year I decided another tact other than ignoring the request by the talentless. Ok I'll play your game. Did a few orniments, not shown is the wire rope ladder that I'm going to have elves climbing that are wearing roadie shirts, the followspot another elf roadie will operate, the 30" 14 point Christmas tree lighted snow flakes, the engraved PAR 36 audience blinder lamps, the MR-16 ball lit orniment and a few other projects I have in the work.

Switched gears some as one of them designer types a bit this weekend and even in the screw you type thing. Front office wants their people to sort of contribute to what they won't be seeing... boys in my department also added another orniment to the tree today. Annoyingtron I believe it's called. Little circuit board that makes an annoying noise at random which one has a hard time figuring out where it came from. Beep at random to other. The guys found it on-line and found this the perfect place to put the thing finally after anoying other people with it. Me, I don't know anything about it, I'm too worried about finding elves at the store - one would think an easy find.

Anyway, what I have been up to this past weekend instead of the antique lights.

Attachments

• orniments 001.jpg
    orniments 001.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 180
  • orniments 004.jpg
    orniments 004.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 166
  • orniments 005.jpg
    orniments 005.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 170
  • orniments 006.jpg
    orniments 006.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 167
  • orniments 008.jpg
    orniments 008.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 163
  • orniments 009.jpg
    orniments 009.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 167
  • orniments 010.jpg
    orniments 010.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 146
Fun? Oh yes! Just closed a production of Shantytown that our Performance Studies department took on. It's a gentle holiday tale of people coming together to rebuild the slums they live in into a lush green landscape - cute right?

My friend and I co-lighting designed and co-sound designed the show, as well as performing live foley effects and live music onstage. It was a real treat. Lots of Christmas-carol suggested themes, with some variety thrown in so the audience wasn't totally sick of the holidays by the end.

The space we were working in was a little ridiculously overstocked with equipment. It's a brand-new black box space, maybe 20 feet square at most with a grid 12 feet off the floor. A full sensor 48 installation rack of 2.4Ks, 24-rack for house-lights (which only use 6 of them), a Unison control system with ACN/RDM/DMX/Net2 gateway, 40 brand-new S4s with a variety of barrels, a dozen new 6" fresnels, fifteen or so different colors of gel pre-stocked, more cable and two-fers than you could ever hope to rationally use, plus a plethora of barn doors, top hats, template holders, irises... It may not be a whole lot, but for the size of the space, it's a ton.

Anyway, it was nice to have too much equipment for a change, instead of too little. Plus, being the first show in the space, we basically got to design their rep-plot. And now they want to hire us to come back and teach the department staff how to use the equipment. =)

Stomp is in town right now, we hung all the electrics/focused yesterday, and right after we cut the crew the 2nd trailer showed up with the set. It would have been nice to dump it last night instead of doing it in the snow this morning.

I just finished up California Dance Theatre's production of The Enchanted Toy Shoppe. I ran lights, sound and curtains, as well as acting as Facilities Manager. They were a fun group to work with, and I was really glad that they weren't doing The Nutcracker.:clap:

Now I'm burning a week of vacation time.:dance:

I've been preping for a christmas show that a local church puts on annually. This year we're tricking it out with a buncha design spot 250s, mess load of coemar iwashes, whole lotta LED cans, buncha lecos, buncha s4 pars... should be a good show. The musicians have unusually large resumes for a church band, coming off tours with a-list acts, and others straight from roles on broadway... should be a fun gig... I'm surprised at the money some churches have to play with - i get to sit next to the sound guy with a PM5d for a 400 person room - i guess i just dont understand audiophiles

Not really fun *yet, but we are getting new ceilings, house lights, and a dimming/control system for the house lights installed for our auditorium. It's just a large open room, we set up stages for events and we have two bars installed for stage lighting. Maybe someday we can get a new dimming system...it's at least 20 years old and it sucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back