The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Done with DeWalt?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by ship, Jul 15, 2017.

1. ship

ship Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

18v died, I would have it repaired in that DeWalt and many tool companies I think have a "max repair" price in fixing it anyway. This up until unlike Strong (followspots) it becomes obsolete for them. They offer you a discounted upgrade at that point. Did that with a grinder but was appairently absent for the day when that upgrade was asked about. Strong recently felt man/hour pain for a ballast I sent in - everything was wrong with it and they didn't meet their price for service. Nice but I have some bad magnetic ballasts not working in storage they should probably re-configure pricing on. Fair enough even if my 14.4 trigger switch fix was easy enough. Be aware that the 18v NiCad battery system is also on its way out the door for DeWalt. No info given but a most likely thing.

2. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

[​IMG]

3. techieman33

techieman33 Well-Known Member

That's on the old 18v platform though. They new ones on the 20v max platform are much better. There is a lot more variety too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ship

Guns with yellow parts might help mis-shooters - hunters in not finding fellow (human) hunters having such things as with vests etc. What's the point of camafloge if using a road crew Orange/yellow reflective vest so as to keep you safe from other idiot hunters? Something in the news today proposed... something about to qualify for voting you must also qualify in voting in background research for a gun licience?

All in a way insulting to me who gave up guns after I left the military - and I am a Marine. I can respect other's views and concepts and do not take a lesser view. In fact, guns with yellow colors might help other's hunt more safely. If above a "thing" might be of interest for My Father In-Law. Can't fix his house but can hunt. I digress.

I do not own a gun other than a WWII flare gun in attic. I do not feel a need for a gun and would die and have my own family die in fighting hard for self defence by way of my own K-Bar stll in a drawer. I know the house and am still Marine.

Beyond that, I might bluf for an invader for home invation about something like a gun, but I neither want or own one. I have served in the Marines and stand by the point that my home ownership of handguns is not necessary.

5. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

@ship Brian; I'll buy you were and are a Marine but are you sure you're an American? I thought the whole gun attitude thing was instilled at birth? More seriously Brian, I ALWAYS knew there was something I liked about you.
    BTW; I don't own any guns either and don't feel at all bad about it.
    Toodleoo!
    Ron Hebbard.

6. techieman33

techieman33 Well-Known Member

It's only around 35% of us that actually own guns. . Google says you Canadians are at around 22% so you aren't that far behind us.

7. ship

Back to topic in a moment..

My Daughter does qualify for "Daughter's of the American Revolution" and it should be an easy in given GrandMa's membership.

The Brushless 20V tried first and above disliked, in using it again recently I still don't like. The version with the brushes, I am getting used to in using more,/ and while not what I want, my DeWalt un-supported 14.4v tools - especially the middle generation of them are starting to go down hill fast.

I still use the 14.4v especially my first generation... basically no original parts left on it other than the switch DeWalt wouldn't replace. Even tried a defunct 12v drill for parts, but wouldn't fit right on a 14.4v pistol grip. Epoxy mending of the forward / reverse switch is working, and as opposed to second generation pistol grip heavier but similar which is slowing down, the original one works great.

Probably in the next year or two I will go 20v for my department and home. Best quality 14.4v tools we were using will become shop tools. This except the pistol grips.... I'll continue to use them as with the original T-Handle, than retire them. No advantage of an available pistol grip drill available for shop use if they have no idea of how to use it properly.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017