Door to Door Lamp Sales People Visit

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Hoasted some door to door sales type people for LED fixtures and lamps. Someone let them into the front office from a back door and they wound up in the front office unnanounced! At least they are no longer the door to door sales people types attempting to re-lamp our fluorescents with their brand of them.... this by way of sales people that don't know the CRI of their lamps.

Anyway, I was board so while normally I explain to such sales people - they have no idea of where they are visiting in trying to impress or sell to me in scale for buying lamps... I gave them a half hour. Yea... lamp budget for the shop is like 1:1,000th lamp budget at best, but ok let's discuss. We discussed - you could tell the difference between the sales rep. and his manager by way of questions I asked in who got stumbled and who answered mostly. They gave their pitch, I took them for a tour... in why they probably wouldn't get an order to re-lamp our shop, but I'll keep them in mind. I was literally inspecting bad lamps in a magnifying glass all day long & typing the serial number tacking into the computer all day long... it is boaring. On the other hand, just sent back two expensive Mythos lamps for clear factory warranty I will win - that pays for a few hours of my time at least This as opposed to all the exploded versions I'm tracking but not ready yet to study. Bad lamp bases are not the most seen cause!

The sales people and I discussed most of what they are offering for doing is already underway or done. After that was just the tour and especially for the rep boss... kind of a good tour and chats about lamps and fixture/lamp history. If nothing else, might have another trade show client to build or light their booth. The time was well spent in them showing me another side lit source for LED panel - used them for many years now and they are not RGB + have a case or two of them from Feit lamps... but in last part of the meeting they showed me a LED high bay light which was impressive for output. Ya never know when something might spark interest. Only somewhat of interest in converting another shop to LED - but will present to that shop the option, more for a retrofit to 5Kw and 10Kw Studio Fresnel retrofit. Was intense enough for use if a future show wants a white source instead of RGB/W in a small package. So it's a useful contact. They than showed me that they already have yokes for these lights.... that's good... light duty and would need a more rugged version for our touring use, but good to be planned for yoke. Not a sale, but I'll keep you in mind in actively buying products. Was a good visit.

That said... been buying lamps and fixtures since about 93' and get paid well to be the buyer at this point. The door to door sales person that will help your' shop get retrofitted to LED or re-lamp you should never be trusted! This especially as in this case where they didn't have a published catalogue to leave me. Said... stuff changes and on-line much more accurate to what we have. No, Published catalogue says not ready for a analogue buyer who wants to page thru it and or show others in providing what you have and for at least a while this is what you will support. Also their little sales pitch in not having a catalogue to offer... when you log onto our websit thru this sales person's link to it... he will be istantly able to help guide you thru it... Should troll the sales person at 2:30 in the morning, but overall, that's not the type of help one wants as a customer.

Good and bad but interesting. For a white high bay light, something interesting for me for shows and in helping re-lamp another building in concept for something I saw useful. Who was the door to door sales person company? Not saying as I would not want to give them an advantage. They also had dark parts about them - like the 5 or 10 year warranty versions of the fixture pricing, not providing CRI on those high bay lights etc. Are these not LED Fixtures that should work 50 years? If I can get one of the lower wattage fixtures for the price of a Mythos lamp - I can without volume discount.... we get into the details and cautions in being taken but keeping them in mind.

Wow, you really must have been bored. My policy is to ignore any cold-call sales, whether it be in person or by phone.

The last time I spent more than 15 seconds with a sales person at my door, it was for cable TV. He asked how I was getting my TV, assuming I was going to say "Dish." I took him down the sidewalk and pointed to the roof. The guy's jaw dropped when I told him how many channels of TV I receive for free with an antenna.

Believe I discussed with some Mormans religion for over an hour while in my garage home workshop. While in college I had some "interpersonal Communications" class as with in gereral a lot of reading. Than with necessary for my career.. study of lamps - they were entertaining to give time to initially. And in entertaining them, there was a useful product to consider. My policy in general also - though more fun for me to also give a few minutes to the door to door sales person that would re-lamp my shop for their crappy fluorescent lamps. They were more fun in....... do you have any idea of where you are tring to sell lamps at.. I buy about a million dollars a year in lamps and you are trying to sell me bad product door to door?

But these door to door sales people were much more knowledgeable and had in the end a product that might be useful at some point, and I will present their high bay LED option to the head of maintinence for the other building who is already involved with upgrading their lights to LED. They in the end had a good product.

But yea.. dual screen monitor, one with lamps checked in and out of the computer, the other with MSN news with stuff to read as I was opening lamp boxes, etc. It's important work I once trained an assistant for months on this inspection process.... than he got fired while I was on vacation. Really? Ah' come on! Mark from Osram can probably attest though that with a normal metal hallide moving light lamp... I can probaboly determine to within 100 hours how long that lamp has been in use. It becomes important for warranty or fixture probolems for the induustry in a large way. The new suppler I entertained was interesting for use in the end to entertain in learning of a new product and for future use.

I loved talking to all the door to door people that rolled through when I ran a facility.

I see it as this, they are just tying to do their job. You are giving them a chance to get better at it for the next person they pitch to, just make sure you don’t get wrapped up and buy something.

I loved talking to all the door to door people that rolled through when I ran a facility.

I see it as this, they are just tying to do their job. You are giving them a chance to get better at it for the next person they pitch to, just make sure you don’t get wrapped up and buy something.

Yep the same given I don't get the fluorescent lamp sales people these days = do you realize where you are in this visit? On the other hand, when door to door sales person in planning a visit... I would think planning and researching those you are visiting would be a good thing. As with scheduling an appointment. They by chance caught me while board and in a good mood. Selling LED shop lamps to a say large lighting production company which is almost complete in conversion is a rough sale. Selling to the buyer that probably knew more about lamps and fixtures than my saleses person... good thing he had his boss with him or it will have been a short meeting. But again as with all vendors I see, they had some good stuff to keep an open mind to in future use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back