Drafting/Design Inspection

Hello Everyone,

I am the TD at a upstate NY school and have some questions about set building/design and any type of inspection. I have been asked to find out if there is any type of governing agency or such that would look over drafting's for a set, then inspect as you build. Much like the process for building a house or deck and such.

Pretty much, the school is asking if there is a inspection process due to fears of liability. I did not have a direct answer other than knowing the fire marshal typically walks through to make sure we meet fire code before opening.

Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated!!

The building code exempts sets from having to be permitted. You still have to build to code. I suspect this could be pointed out to the building official and try to elicit their participation. Some would love to avoid this and you might regret it.

I'm sure for a fee the school could hire an architect to provide this service. Whether $200 or 800 or more or less, can't say.

Let's amend the Previous two statements; In MOST jurisdictions there is typically no Authority claiming jurisdiction and or authority over the approval of scenic designs and or building techniques. Most Jurisdictions DO specifically require compliance with Fire codes but at the same time MANY jurisdictions do not understand the processes of Scenic techniques, so they often apply Residential or even Commercial Fire codes to scenery. That being said; If a Building inspector shows up at your theatre and says "I need to see your Permit." Or you receive a "Cease and Desist" order you will need to provide one. The chances of that happening are next to never. Just like Electrical inspectors and Fire Inspectors the local Authority 'claiming' Jurisdiction must be followed until such time it is proven that they do not have authority.
For you Administrators peace of mind, liability for issues arising from scenery is typically covered under a schools standard 'activities' rider. There is liability on you however, as the TD to adhere to standard safe practices, and one of the best ways to do that is to adhere to standard building codes for 'temporary' structures where reasonable. Should platformsd be built with Simpsons and be anchored to concrete with Hilti's? Yeah, probably not. Built screwed every 8" on the perimeter and 16" in the field? yes.

Any jurisdiction that has adopted the IBC - by legislative action of elected officials in most cases - has given their building officials (IBC) or authorities having jurisdiction (NFPA) authority over scenery and the responsibility to enforce the adopted code. No one claims "authority", its assigned by governmental action. You don't need a permit (with the exception of at least one jurisdiction that has amended the IBC to delete the exception) but it does have to meet code. It is rarely an issue but I believe more than once here on CB there have been reports of building officials inspecting scenery, red- tagging some platforms, and I've gotten the question and plea for help more than once. One school district has me on call to review things. (Which based on your location makes me suggest you might try giving theatre consultant Peter Scheu a call - Syracuse area.) This is not about sanitation, daylight, fresh air, etc - but basics like structure and means of egress and fire, and the officials may not understand "scenic technique" but the do understand wood and steel and fasteners along with stairs and guards and handrails and those many common building issues.

The OP seemed to be asking for a pro-active option, a way to get a second look or review by someone definitely qualified, like a building official or registered design professional. Given the rash of pit cover collapses a year or two ago, the occasional reports of injuries and fatalities in school theatre, its not a bad idea. Review or double checking by a qualified person is a great means of reducing bad things resulting from human error. One person can fly a plane, maybe no one is needed, but we have a pilot and co-pilot for good reason.

Whoever does your local building inspections will provide the school with the greatest liability protection as it brings a government into the mix. In the long run you can work with one or a few of them to learn about the weird stuff we do. In the short run, well things might get interesting...

At the other end you could probably find a general contractor to advise you. They would be far more experienced in basic wood structures than most educators and have insurance coverage as if they were doing the work themselves. They wouldn't have any authority other than what the school gives them. They would likely not provide any liability cover in a courtroom, however hiring one would show some diligence.

If I were asked to do something like this I would first have a nice chat with my insurance agent.

Any jurisdiction that has adopted the IBC - by legislative action of elected officials in most cases - has given their building officials (IBC) or authorities having jurisdiction (NFPA) authority over scenery and the responsibility to enforce the adopted code. No one claims "authority", its assigned by governmental action. You don't need a permit (with the exception of at least one jurisdiction that has amended the IBC to delete the exception) but it does have to meet code. It is rarely an issue but I believe more than once here on CB there have been reports of building officials inspecting scenery, red- tagging some platforms, and I've gotten the question and plea for help more than once. One school district has me on call to review things. (Which based on your location makes me suggest you might try giving theatre consultant Peter Scheu a call - Syracuse area.) This is not about sanitation, daylight, fresh air, etc - but basics like structure and means of egress and fire, and the officials may not understand "scenic technique" but the do understand wood and steel and fasteners along with stairs and guards and handrails and those many common building issues.

The OP seemed to be asking for a pro-active option, a way to get a second look or review by someone definitely qualified, like a building official or registered design professional. Given the rash of pit cover collapses a year or two ago, the occasional reports of injuries and fatalities in school theatre, its not a bad idea. Review or double checking by a qualified person is a great means of reducing bad things resulting from human error. One person can fly a plane, maybe no one is needed, but we have a pilot and co-pilot for good reason.

Thank you for the response it so far has been very insightful and helpful. I have no issue with having a second set of eyes come in, and do fully understand that anything built or planned by me as the district TD there is a cretin amount of liability. This is why I have no issue knowing and looking at my own skills and knowledge when working with the director and saying "I am not sure i can build that safely" or "I like this idea, but we would most likely have to bring someone else in to assist with structures (when talking about putting an entire pit band on top of a set)". I also know that the school would hold liability as well with me as their employee being hired to do this job, and if they wish to push this forward it is fine by me, or if they want to put restrictions (no sets over X feet high or such) then that is fine by me as well (would suck, but i would understand and abide by the rules). I know the liability comes with anything we do in the business, that is why I do not go out on my own to install items at other schools, or design/build as a "freelancer".

My main concern with this however, is how it would effect the program. Right now the school does 4 shows a year, with another 4 summer shows. If I need to make actual blue print drawings for these to be inspected and given the OK, I would spend all my time doing the drawling, but come time to build for the first show I would already have to start on the next drawling for the next and so on. I understand their fear, but I sadly see it negatively affecting the program in the long run due to only having one employee (and a student crew of 35 awesome kids) whom is not only responsible for these major shows, but also every concert & special event that takes place inside the three district Theatres.

Its my opinion that the schedule impact could be minimal and and that you should not have to produce more drawings or plans than you do already. I think review of whatever preliminary plans you have - on napkins or chalk bairds or whatever - and you verbal presentation of the materials and methods you envision - and a review of the work completed would be more than adequate. Whether a building official, an architect or engineer, a contractor/"master"builder, a theatre consultant, or the TD from a local university, it would lessen liability to your employer, which I understood was the motivation for this discussion, and I have to think be beneficial to your own experience and skill set. Again, this seems instigated by your employer and I assume they will understand it comes with some cost.

We all make mistakes - human error - to err is human - all that stuff. Somewhere I picked up that 1 error or fewer in 10,000 is good, perhaps from medical care, since they study that stuff. A second human improves those odds exponentially. And that is all we can do to improve safety is adopt methods and procedures that improve the odds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back