Drafting with a Tablet?

Jezza

Just wondering aloud here as to who uses a tablet when working with their respective favorite CAD programs. Any pros or cons you've found? Any suggestions as to shortcuts or favorite tablets?

I use a Wacom Graphire 6x8 for all my graphics and VW work -- just find it easier to work with than the trackpad on my MBP.

I don't use a tablet, but have found this to be the greatest navigation device known to man. My roommate uses the same tablet as yours for his work with Photoshop on his MacPro, with 4 750Gb hard-drives and 16Gb of RAM. The beast uses 283 watts when on.

Jezza, really? I love track-pads. After about 30 months of non-stop trackpad, several hours a day, I don't like the feel of mice anymore. I love the feel and response of my track-pad, and two finger scrolling seals the deal.

Jezza, really? I love track-pads. After about 30 months of non-stop trackpad, several hours a day, I don't like the feel of mice anymore. I love the feel and response of my track-pad, and two finger scrolling seals the deal.

When your doing constant resizing and rearranging in VW, I the trackpad doesn't afford me enough dexterity and control. I find I need a tablet to get me the kind of precise range of motion I'm looking for when drafting. I do love two finger scrolling though -- and two finger tap for right click? gotta love it!

Derek - I've been thinking about switching over to trackball based situation for a while now -- would probably emulate my experiences on the HOG better, more seamless transition. Then again, if I starting working on the Vista (oh how I wish) then I'll be tabletized. Can't wait for a REAL tablet Mac.

Sounds like your friend has his all tricked out. I've got a MBP w/ 2GB or RAM and 1 500GB Lacie, 1 250 GB Lacie, and 1 120GB Lacie all hooked up through various firewire and eSATA. Its not as fast as I would want, but for mobility and portability, its all I can ask for. I'm thinking once I'm out of college I'll spring for a totally tricked out MacPro, or whatever the new incarnation of Apple desktops will be at that point.

And how many does the toaster use?
:lol:
Sunbeam two-slice toaster uses 978 (peak) watts.
Sunbeam 1350-watt toaster oven uses 1313 (peak) watts.

More important to me is how much my DishBox, TiVos, computers, and other things that need constant power, use.

When your doing constant resizing and rearranging in VW, I the trackpad doesn't afford me enough dexterity and control. I find I need a tablet to get me the kind of precise range of motion I'm looking for when drafting. I do love two finger scrolling though -- and two finger tap for right click? gotta love it!
Derek - I've been thinking about switching over to trackball based situation for a while now -- would probably emulate my experiences on the HOG better, more seamless transition. Then again, if I starting working on the Vista (oh how I wish) then I'll be tabletized. Can't wait for a REAL tablet Mac.
Sounds like your friend has his all tricked out. I've got a MBP w/ 2GB or RAM and 1 500GB Lacie, 1 250 GB Lacie, and 1 120GB Lacie all hooked up through various firewire and eSATA. Its not as fast as I would want, but for mobility and portability, its all I can ask for. I'm thinking once I'm out of college I'll spring for a totally tricked out MacPro, or whatever the new incarnation of Apple desktops will be at that point.

I have no sort of trackpad only selection options to me. Is this specific to MBP and MB?

Phil, Derek got a kill-a-watt for xmas, I think he probably got a little measure happy on the 25th, and I'm guessing those are accurate numbers.

I'm not quite sure what you mean -- could you be more specific charc?

I can't "double tap" for "right click". If this feature is included, I'm assuming there is also a "single tap" for "left click". However, if I tap my trackpad, the only thing that happens is my finger might get numb after an hour or two.

Phil, Derek got a kill-a-watt for xmas, I think he probably got a little measure happy on the 25th, and I'm guessing those are accurate numbers.
Charlie, I mean that the toaster company lied.

I have yet to find a decent, affordable toaster.

I can't "double tap" for "right click". If this feature is included, I'm assuming there is also a "single tap" for "left click". However, if I tap my trackpad, the only thing that happens is my finger might get numb after an hour or two.

Not sure what kind of laptop your working off of, but on a MacBook, Macbook Pro, and even some of the G4 Powerbooks as I remember, you can set up the trackpad to do all sorts of nifty stuff. In System Preferences under "Mouse" and then "Trackpad" you can set all the preferences. The way I have mine set up is:

1 Finger:
Single tap = left click
Double tap = open

2 Fingers:
2 Finger scroll (self explanatory)
Single tap = right click

I'm using an iBook G4. I hadn't realized those tapping features had made it into the newest generation of macs.

My TD uses a trackball for drafting because he will draft in an armchair at home so a mouse would be difficult. I am happy with my mouse and number pad for drafting. Anything I need to make precise I do not drag and drop I move or resize.

Never tried on.

I use VW on a laptop but use a 2 button with scroll wheel mouse. I like being able to left click and drag with one hand, Never mastered anything else.

Steve B.

The problem is under what circumstances would you need to produce 350 slices of toast an hour.

I know, you would need 350 slices of toast if you have been visited by 175 hungry wombats.

...I have yet to find a decent, affordable toaster.
Phillip, I'm quite happy with the Sunbeam at WallyWorld for around $25. Fuzzy logic and everything. Sometimes fuzzy bread too if it stays in the fridge too long.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back