Draper StageScreen -- any experience?

dreamist

Hi All...

I've been looking into the various options for projection screens for our venue.. need something that we can put up and take down without a ton of effort, and something that can be easily moved out of the venue. The venue is a non temperature controlled barn, so the temp and humidity moves around a ton during the summer, and during winter it's frozen... probably not the best environment for projection screen material to stay in :)

I've been looking at 16ft x 10ft -- my projector is 16:10, and I've built a screen that size in my venue before and liked the result. In my research, I keep coming back to the Draper StageScreen stuff and liking the flexibility and portability it seems to have.. though it's definitely not cheap.. wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with it, positive or negative?

Thanks!

With no temperature control, traditional screen material may have issue. Try to bring it to a normal room temperature before stretching it onto the frame. I would recommend a fabric instead. Check out offerings from Rosebrand, Dazian, and others who make projection fabrics. They do much better with temperature differences.

With no temperature control, traditional screen material may have issue. Try to bring it to a normal room temperature before stretching it onto the frame. I would recommend a fabric instead. Check out offerings from Rosebrand, Dazian, and others who make projection fabrics. They do much better with temperature differences.

Interesting and great info.. some followup questions --

I knew that PVC is thermo-elastic and really doesn't like extreme cold.. assuming that I were to keep a standard PVC projection screen out of the winter temperatures, but use it in the summer, what types of issues would you expect? Our interior temperatures in the summer can range from around 60 to 100 Fahrenheit..

On the fabric side -- I've done a bit of poking around at the Rosebrand site, and some of those materials are intriguing.. how does one typically finish the fabric such that it can be stretched over some form of frame in a re-usable way? My expected use case is to set up for a movie or presentation one day, do the show that day or day after, and then take it down again.. so up for a few days, and then packed back away until the next event...

Appreciate the insight!

Standard finished edges with grommets around. Use bungee fasteners or tie line around a frame. You could probably use some cheap DJ spigot truss for the frame.

Heat can make the screen sticky. You can deal a bit by putting a sheet of muslin and rolling it on a tube instead of folding it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back