Dressing Room Stools

Hello everyone:

We are in the final stages of our new theatre complex. I couldn't find too much info on specific dressing room/makeup station stools. The top of the counters are drawn to be 2'10". Are 24" stools too short? Do they make specific stools for makeup stations. Our makeup stations are in the dressing room. Shorter chairs or stools with a back better? There is a Green room with couches, but I don't seen actors sitting on stools while having out in there room. What do you all use? Thanks

Steve

I don't think 10" is an unreasonable gap between stool height and counter height. And you'll be down to about 8 usable inches with the thickness of the counter. I like stools as opposed to chairs because of a smaller footprint, and ideally backs on them if people are also going to be getting their hair done (or more intensive makeup that will be really time consuming). Stools can be hard on the back for a lengthy period of time. If you go short, you can always add a higher, fluffier seat.

I don't think 10" is an unreasonable gap between stool height and counter height. And you'll be down to about 8 usable inches with the thickness of the counter. I like stools as opposed to chairs because of a smaller footprint, and ideally backs on them if people are also going to be getting their hair done (or more intensive makeup that will be really time consuming). Stools can be hard on the back for a lengthy period of time. If you go short, you can always add a higher, fluffier seat.
@SteveMcQueen @seanandkate Stools that swivel are also useful for hair and make-up duties with backs and foot-rests which rotate with the stool. Always consider your sources: Moi? I'm exclusively a sound, lighting, flies and surtitles guy with ZERO expertise to dwell on when it comes to hair and make-up. [My wife, for reference, did a little hair and a LOT of make-up for at least 35 years. Marly's my make-up stool reference.] Stools of various, and / or adjustable heights are very useful to avoid tall make-up artisans suffering back fatigue and / or artisans of shorter stature spending hours on tippy-toes.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

"standard" stool height is 18" to the seat. 24 inches is very tall especially if you are talking about individual mirror stations where actors apply their own makeup. Part of this depends on whether or not you are in an Equity house. Equity has some pretty specific rules for Makeup stations and you'd be wised to consult the applicable rule book for your contract.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back