Dry Ice "Dust"

I'm gearing up for The Grapes of Wrath and have heard that the Steppenwolf production opened the curtain at the top of the show to red lights and a fog covering the floor. When fans were put on it, the almost invisible fog picked up and looked like dust blowing in the wind.

I'm a little concerned that an effect I usually equate to moisture is here used to simulate dryness. Any thoughts on getting this look to work? Should I just put some canisters of dry ice around stage and step back so that my movement does not disturb the air? I've not worked with low-lying fog before.

Thanks!

I'll agree that low lying fog will be associated with a water vapor. However, once you start moving it in the air (I'm not sure if they used dry ice foggers or other low lying fog for the other production you refference), you will change the audiences perception by changing the lighting. We perceive blowing dust not as white, but a tan or burnt amber. So, once you get your fog satisfactorily into the air, play with the lighting, especially side lighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back